Your Career Begins at Timken
If you're ready for a challenging career that provides you with the ability to advance personally and professionally, look to Timken. Our associates make the world more productive by improving the efficiency and reliability of the machinery that keeps industry in motion.
Purpose & Scope
We are searching for a Senior Application Engineer in Northeast Ohio who has automotive or bearing engineering experience to be a customer application specialist for drive train and chassis mechanical components. If you are searching for a challenging opportunity where you can make an impactful difference, this position is for you.
This position exists to support global customer engineering tactics and Front End business goals by translating customer needs into new applications for Timken bearings and related products. The Senior Application Engineer performs bearing analysis using proprietary Timken software and other programs to select existing or new bearings and power transmission products. Some calculations will require the use of tools beyond the limits of currently-available analysis software. The Senior Application Engineer will promote the value of products and services to customers that are both strategic for Timken and add customer value. A primary function is to provide engineering and technical support to field sales and service engineering, other internal customers, and occasional on-site or remote, real-time problem-solving with external customers.
- Bearing Selection and Analysis: Perform systems analysis, bearing selection, adjusted L10 life calculations, seal, mounting method, fitting practice and lubricant suggestions.
- Performance and Quality Issues: Perform advanced damage analysis, including evaluations of geometry, materials, and metallurgy. Review design concepts for product performance and ease of manufacture. Provide customer ready written or verbal responses to external requests for damage analysis results.
- Support the Sales Process: Present technical information to customers. Assist Sales Engineer in their effort to influence buying decisions of customers. Target results to known customer needs, adding value to the customer and to Timken.
- Risk Assessment & Mitigation: Conduct project-related assessments. Generate DFMEAs for existing and new application types, drive into DVPrs and contribute to PFMEA when appropriate. Apply standard processes and procedures with respect to risk analysis.
- New Product Development: Submit ideas for improvements and enhancements to existing or new products. Define and launch prototypes and test requests to validate product performance. Conduct industry or technology research, and identify trends. Share observations and conclusions to guide future development.
- Continuous Improvement: Review existing work standards and develop new procedures and solutions to increase workplace efficiency.
- Knowledge Transfer: Serve as instructor for technical training classes both internal and external. Coach/mentor new engineering associates. Generate technical articles, catalogs and brochures.
- Minimum: Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering with a minimum of 2 years of experience in rolling bearing products or automotive powertrain or chassis experience.
- Preferred: Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering with 4 years of experience in rolling bearing products or automotive powertrain or chassis experience; or Masters degree in Mechanical Engineering with 1 year of experience in rolling bearing products or automotive powertrain or chassis experience.
- Experience with direct customer communication
- Experience with APQP processes (DFMEA, DVPr, DV and PV builds, …etc.)
- Willingness to travel domestically or regionally
All qualified applicants shall be treated equally according to their individual qualifications, abilities, experiences and other employment standards. There will be no discrimination due to gender or gender identity, race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, sexual orientation, veteran/military status or any other basis protected by applicable law.