|Director - Area Customs
New York, NY
|Send this Job to a Friend|
|Post Date:||09/28/17||Company:||Schenker, Inc.|
|Job Type:||Full Time||Phone:|
|Experience:||5 - 10 years||Mailing Address:|
|Position Description Summary:
LOCATION is NY, NY or Philadelphia, PA
Responsible for the direction, management, and control of customs operations, employees, and budgets within an assigned geographical area.
Principal Accountabilities (The following is intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. It is not an exhaustive list of all expectations.):
• Manage area market customs operations and service functions
• Manage and ensure compliance with US Customs laws and regulations
• Responsible for business development within the area
• Closely work with the sales organization to facilitate growth of the customs business in assigned area
• Actively participate in pipeline reviews, sales meetings, and customer QBR's
• Prepare pricing and bid responses for customs opportunities
• Provide demos on client tools (MyBrokerage, etc)
• Manage implementations of new customs business within area
• Responsible for commercial decisions and resolutions
• Facilitate account sponsorship in assigned geographical area
• Provide education on trade regulations and duty savings opportunities to sales force and clients.
Team Management & Compliance
• Responsible for department recruiting, hiring/termination of employees as per corporate guidelines
• Ensure staff receives training for their job activities, and define specific job assignments
• Manage and monitor performance to ensure required levels of productivity and organizational objectives are met
• Responsible for leadership of the area customs teams
• Ensure regulatory compliance within region through internal audits, corrective action plans, and training
• Profit and loss responsibility for the assigned customs area in conjunction with branch area directors
• Ensure FC forecasting for responsible customs area is complete working with air, ocean, and branch area directors
The individual in this position must be capable of performing all of the essential functions with or without a reasonable accommodation.
Must be able to pass any federal/state/local government, airport, or company-required background checks, clearances, and/or drug and alcohol tests.
Knowledge and Skills (The following minimum requirements are normal guidelines and should not constrain the advancement of otherwise qualified personnel):
This is an area management level position. Exceptional interpersonal, analytical, problem solving, communication, leadership, and strategic skills required. Bachelor's degree or equivalent required. Generally prefer 4 years of management/supervision experience in addition with 10 years of experience in customs and freight forwarding operations. Customs Brokerage license required. Proficiency with MS Office required.
Building Effective Teams
Sets and communicates goals and assigns work based upon individual strengths and contributions. Sets an example of collaboration, encourages dialogues and differences, celebrates success of team and provides recognition. Builds trust and measures results.
Understands business and commerce and relates to the organization's market and strategy. Is conversant with trends in industry, technology and competition and understands positioning and tactics in the marketplace.
Develops and maintains mutually respectful and trusting relationships with internal and external customers and concentrates on always meeting or exceeding their expectations. Uses customer information and feedback to continuously evolve and improve products and services. Always acts, plans and executes with the customer needs in the forefront.
Drive for Results
Clearly sees goals and objectives and manages efforts effectively to achieve them. Able to overcome barriers and to keep self and others focused. Bottom line driven and is consistently a top performer.
Has a comprehensive understanding of the marketplace for innovation and solid judgment about the potential for creative ideas and suggestions. Actively fosters creativity, conducts effective brainstorming and promotes creative or innovative solutions within the organization.
Demonstrates diplomacy as well as being direct and forceful, has the ability to gain concessions without damaging long term relationships or dialogue. Negotiates skillfully with internal and external groups by listening and demonstrating commitment and integrity, resulting in gained trust and credibility.
Understands and personifies the culture of the organization recognizing the formal and informal channels and networks that drive relationships and progress. Knows how to make things happen and get things done while showing respect and support for policies, procedures, practices and objectives.
Able to anticipate the scope and complexity of situations or deliverables and effectively evaluates and breaks down work, develops process and controls, assigns work and schedules resources accordingly. Is prepared and expects barriers, challenges, uncontrollable variables and adjust plans accordingly, measuring results.
Is able to command and engage a group in a variety of settings, while being well prepared and effectively presents the material. Creates and manages the group dynamic and is able to amend presentation strategy when it is not accomplishing the intended goal.
Sees future trends and consequences clearly based upon experience that reflects breadth and depth. Is constantly processing information and data with a view to the future. Is able to articulate strategic vision to educate colleagues or superiors and stakeholders and is able to translate into tactical reality.
External Applicants - Please download the Application Form from our website at:
Internal Applicants - Interested individuals should forward their completed Internal Employment Transfer Application, found in the Human Resources section of the Schenker US Library, to the below contact person, and also inform their current Supervisor and/or Branch Manager of their interest in this position.
ALL Applicants should submit the appropriate application documents, as described above, to firstname.lastname@example.org.
No resumes will be accepted without the required application documents. When applying, please reference the Requisition Number indicated on this posting.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Females/Veterans/Disabled