Your Career Begins at Timken
If you're ready for a challenging career that provides you with the ability to advance personally and professionally, look to Timken. Our associates make the world more productive by improving the efficiency and reliability of the machinery that keeps industry in motion.
Purpose of Position
This position provides the project management technical leadership/direction to plan, develop and implement manufacturing concepts and processes throughout our global footprint. Technical expertise at a corporate level is necessary to support new plant/product/process start-ups around the world and continuous improvement activities at existing manufacturing facilities. This position is specifically responsible for the hard or soft turning, milling, and other special material removal processes used in bearing manufacturing. It includes developing, applying, and implementing technologies and processes to manufacturing plants.
- TECHNICAL SUPPORT - Knowledgeable in bearing manufacturing processes such as machining/milling, grinding, hard turning and superfinishing. Experience and knowledge of hard turning/milling process is preferred. Support the development and implementations of hard turning/milling processes and equipment across global industrial bearing plants. This will include leading or supporting equipment rebuilds/upgrades/runoff, installations, debug, startups, troubleshooting, as well as defining specifications for new equipment. Knowledge of hard turning /milling cycle design and optimization, technical support/problem-solving through process development, process modeling, and data analysis skills including process capability study analysis. Make technical recommendations for manufacturing solutions throughout the global business. Develop strong technical relationships with peers at the global plant sites and focus on knowledge transfer to them.
- TECHNICAL STRATEGY - Assist in technical strategy development for deployment of bearing manufacturing processes.
- CAPITAL PROJECTS - Technically lead and support capital investment efforts required for Timken's business growth initiatives globally. This includes project leadership, specification/selection of new assets or upgrades in technology to existing equipment, asset implementation into the plant's site, and delivery of a total process technology package to the plants. This also includes creation of Appropriation Requisitions (AR's) including basic business case analysis, cost tracking/forecasting of spending, and timely completion of projects within budget.
- PRODUCT/PROCESS RATIONALIZATION - Execute analysis to support global product/process rationalization efforts. Perform manufacturing process benchmarking analysis and manufacturing cost comparisons across the Industrial Bearing manufacturing plants.
- PROJECT MANAGEMENT - Utilize project management tools for key departmental projects including project and resource planning, and implement corrective actions when necessary to assure timely completion.
- CONTINUOUS IMPROVEMENT - Technically support continuous improvement projects throughout the global business related to manufacturing processes to increase throughput, improve quality, reduce costs, enhance safety, etc. Provide an environment and process for CI activities within the business by working with the manufacturing plant teams to identify CI solutions, and then follow through with implementation support and evaluation.
- TRAVEL - International and domestic travel is required, averaging 25% of the time.
Technical/Functional Skills Required
- Advanced technical manufacturing process experience
- Expertise in finishing processes such as grinding, hard turning (highly preferred) or green turning, production milling and superfinishing
- Expertise in milling / drilling processes
- Strong understanding of the science behind design for manufacturability
- Proven ability to influence internal and external customers
- Advanced project management skills
- Strong analytical and variance analysis/root cause analysis; capability analysis
- Strong communication skills/team player
- Asset technical and problem solving capabilities through process design, development, modeling and standardization
- Bachelor's degree in Mechanical or Manufacturing Engineering and at least 7 years of finishing/hard-turning process experience, including evidence of technical manufacturing process leadership, or
- Master's degree in Mechanical or Manufacturing Engineering and at least 5 years of finishing/hard-turning process experience, including evidence of technical manufacturing process leadership.
All qualified applicants shall be treated equally according to their individual qualifications, abilities, experiences and other employment standards. There will be no discrimination due to gender or gender identity, race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, sexual orientation, veteran/military status or any other basis protected by applicable law.