Import Specialist II
Develops a thorough understanding of clients’ shipping requirements and patterns. Demonstrates sound customer service and data entry skills to support growth within current position. Gains job related regulatory knowledge of current position.
Reviews and processes day to day operations, evaluates and recommends equipment needs. Plans and schedules appropriate service line for situation (ground, expedited, air, ocean, etc.) to maintain an effective balance between customer service and shipment costs. Work closely with centralized brokerage team.
Ensures compliance with all government related programs specific to mode and direction of related shipments (i.e. Customs, security, other import and export government agencies that regulate international trade). Handles advanced customs entry types, including carnets.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Ensures accurate and timely processing of transportation data from a regulatory and tracking perspective.
- Ensures regulatory requirements and proper documentation, including transit documents and customs clearances, exist for shipments.
- Ensures documentation is accurately processed, distributed and released to carrier, forwarders, customers and agents in a timely manner.
- Prepares all necessary data entry and confirmation of key milestones (departure, arrival, customs clearance, PODs, etc.) as specified by Customer Standard Operating Procedures.
- Maintains courteous, prompt and efficient customer relations.
- Oversees and completes accurate billing to clients based on established pricing, while ensuring accurate costs and profits are maintained.
- Oversees the pick-up and transfer of shipments with appropriate partners.
- Establishes knowledge of Inco terms and commercial invoice requirements.
- Develops methods and procedures for transportation of commodities for designated shippers from local or offshore locations to warehouses, other storage facilities or final consignee locations.
- Prepares timely management information and reports as requested.
- Negotiates shipping rates and submits to Branch Manager for approval when necessary to be competitive.
- Develops and maintains successful relationships with local vendors (e.g. airline representatives, freight forwarders, custom brokers, local pickup and delivery companies, regional trucking companies, line haul providers) as well as other co-load carriers
- Uses established regulatory knowledge to provide classification of HTS/Schedule B numbers, tariff filing, hazardous material handling (as required by position) and any other government agency requirements.
- Ensures compliance with all government related programs specific to mode and direction of related shipments (i.e. Customs, security, other import and export government agencies that regulate international trade).
- Establishes and maintains all necessary procedures to assure a clean, properly organized, safe and healthy environment for all personnel.
- 5+ years operational experience in international import air and ocean transportation, preferably with an international logistics provider.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Transportation, Logistics or equivalent combination of experience and education.
- Effective verbal, written and interpersonal skills.
- Knowledge and experience spreadsheets and databases (Excel and Word) applications
- Knowledge of state, federal and international applicable laws and regulations as they relate to primary services provided (i.e. Customs, Security, other import & export government agencies that regulate international trade).
- CargoWise experience preferred.
MIQ Logistics, a company of Noatum Logistics (MIQ) Overview
To serve the surging demands of our customers worldwide, MIQ is enhancing our global supply chain capabilities. Join our growing team of professionals as we strengthen and expand our core international supply chain services. We are a growing global logistics company with exciting career opportunities in international forwarding, supply chain management, technology, business development, and many more. With operations in North America, Latin America, Asia and Europe, MIQ provides you significant opportunities to enhance your career. As you gain experience, develop new skills and take on greater responsibilities, MIQ offers you the opportunity to grow with us.
MIQ is a leading provider of supply chain management and global logistics services in North America, Latin America, Europe and Asia. Started in 2000, MIQ's North America headquarters is located in Overland Park, Kansas. Over the years, our business has seen many changes. What has not changed is our steadfast commitment to service excellence and improving our customers' bottom-line performance.
Along with our global network partners, we provide services in and between all major international trade lanes. With the support of our thousands of logistics professionals, this infrastructure can deliver seamless end-to-end supply chain solutions around the world. MIQ employees understand that customer service is our priority and at its best when built on a relationship of trust and a thorough understanding of our customers’ business. We firmly believe we have the best talent in the industry working on our accounts.
To learn more about MIQ Logistics, a company of Noatum Logistics, www.miq.com