Operations Agent – Customs Entry Writer
Come join our Amazing team!! EMO Trans, Inc., a multinational, dynamic freight logistics company with approximately 400 employees and growing, has international offices, as well as offices in key US cities. Established in 1965, EMO Trans has grown to more than 30 U.S. offices and 250 network locations in over 120 countries around the world.
The Operations Agent – Customs Entry Writer will perform a high volume of customs clearance processes working directly with customers, overseas offices, and the U.S. Customs department to file entries on imported freight, ensure timely coordination of cargo, and perform accurate reporting and billing. This position acts as a trusted advisor to our customers, educating them on U.S. Customs and Partner Government Agency (PGA) requirements. This position requires a strong individual with customs entry processing skills, knowledge of proper classification (FDA, PGA, HTS and Ace) and government agencies.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Generate, file, and maintain up-to-date customer records, reports, documentation, databases, etc.
- Prepare documentation for data entry and transmission to Customs, including 7501, 3461 and RLF; ensure that all entries are filed on time and freight delivered in a timely manner in accordance with company and Customs expectations.
- Process documents through the Company's ABI system, obtaining Customs release and other government agency releases as appropriate.
- Monitor the release and follow up on all ABI/AMS messages including rejects, holds and exam messages, working with government personnel to ensure timely release of cargo.
- Follow-up with carriers, manage pre-alerts daily, and maintain record of all communications in files; inform supervisor of problems and irregularities.
- Review entry details and verify for compliance data related to calculation of duties, duty policy, Participating Government Agencies, trade agreements, prior notice or any specific requests by Customs for the proper filing for release.
- Perform audit review on all assigned brokerage files and payments to customs.
- Audit customs entries, commercial documents, applying harmonized tariff schedule code for accurate duty assessment and to ensure all federal requirements are met.
- Handle all documents related to shipping freight, including: set up files for pre-alerts received, maintain customer updates, preparation of documents for Customs clearance, select and dispatch trucker, arrange delivery to customer, process payables and billing in our accounting system, check status on shipments, check PODs and charges, tracking cargo from origin to final destination, follow up shipments for final ETA date.
- Serve as single point of coordination between customers (internal and external), U.S. Customs and Border protection and other government agencies to ensure service commitments are achieved and maintained in accordance with client and company objectives.
- Support and maintain the Quality System (ISO) by working closely with management, sales and/or operations to ensure goals and objectives are met with regard to the function(s) of this position.
- Ensure adherence to procedures for any issues of non-conformance that could or do directly affect the success of the Quality System.
- Other duties as assigned.
Desired Skills and Expertise:
- Knowledge of freight forwarding with focus on import brokerage.
- Basic knowledge of INCO terms, the Harmonized Tariff Schedule, Customs regulations and other government agency requirements.
- Good working knowledge Microsoft Office, with proficiency in Excel, Word and Outlook; freight forwarding software.
- Enthusiastic, positive and internally driven with a sense of urgency and "whatever-it-takes" attitude.
- Commitment to excellent customer service, in support of both external and internal customers, utilizing effective communication and follow-up skills.
- Ability to work effectively in a cross-functional team environment at all levels of the organization, or work independently with little or no supervision, to achieve results.
- Effective interpersonal skills that result in loyal, long-term customer relationships.
- Practical problem solving and decision-making skills.
- Ability to work under time constraints using time management and organization skills, adjusting priorities based on workload or direction from customer or management.
- 1-3 years customs brokerage and/or international logistics operations experience.
- 2 -3 years customer service experience.
- Minimum high school diploma or GED.
- Candidates must be legally eligible to work in the US.
- Medical-including Health Savings Account and Health Reimbursement Accounts
- Dental plan
- Life & AD&D
- Long Term Disability
- Company matching 401(k) and Roth K Plans
- Two weeks' vacation, sick and personal time, floating holidays
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)