Thorlabs is seeking an experienced electro-optic Test Engineer to participate in the development and manufacturing of next generation semiconductor lasers. You will be responsible for taking a laser product line from prototype into manufacturing thru the development of test equipment in support of assembly line packaging and test. This position will require design, assembly, and troubleshooting of both hardware and software in support of manufacturing systems development. Test Engineers work directly with mechanical engineers, assembly personnel, and other electro-optic engineers to ensure that designs and manufacturing techniques will yield products which meet the customer's specifications.
Essential Job Functions include the following, but are not limited to:
- Conceptualize and design electro-optic test systems and fixtures
- Prototype, develop, test & qualify new test systems for use in manufacturing
- Create budgets and schedules for these new developments
- Maintain documentation for the system development process
- Create assembly and test work instructions; train personnel
- Specify & purchase all parts and equipment required; interact with vendors
- Minimum 3 years of experience in similar position
- Experience using .Net and Labview to automate various pieces of test equipment and/or motion control.
- Experience optoelectronic circuits and optical test equipment
- Experience using SolidWorks 2D and 3D Modeling Application.
- Hands-on experience in the photonics industry, laser or physics lab is a plus.
- Bachelor or Master's Degree (or higher) in Mechanical/Optical Systems Engineering or related field(s) is required.
Specialized Knowledge and Skills:
- Problem resolution skills for debugging new designs and assemblies
- Manual dexterity to assemble and align precision opto-mechanical systems
- Thorough understanding of .Net and related SW development environments
- Thorough understanding of Labview
- Tool and fixture making experience is a plus.
- Soldering / Circuit Design Experience is a plus.
- High attention to details
- Flexibility/adaptability in a fast-paced & dynamic environment
- Ability to function autonomously with little direction/works well independently of others
- Demonstrated ability to work in a team environment