Logistics done differently.
At XPO Logistics, we're out to transform transportation logistics through technology, and our multimillion-dollar commitment to IT underscores its importance to our vision. As the Senior Software Engineer, you will evaluate software and design and implement software components that address specific business requirements, resulting in systems that achieve quantifiable measures of performance, quality, affordability, maintainability and simplicity. You will also develop new, complex software components, and modify and support existing production software. If you're ready to take your career to the next level, join XPO and help us revolutionize how goods are transported around the globe.
Pay, benefits and more.
We are eager to attract the best, so we offer competitive compensation and a generous benefits package, including full health insurance (medical, dental and vision), 401(k), life insurance, disability and more.
What you'll do on a typical day:
- Design and develop new software that satisfies business requirements by applying techniques of computer science, engineering and mathematical analysis
- Evaluate and select process and logic patterns, programming language constructs, data storage methods, and operating environment interfaces that effectively satisfy requirements and quantifiable measures
- Develop appropriate programs and systems documentation
- Collaborate with architects, systems engineers, project managers, systems administrators and operations analysts to deploy/implement solutions and troubleshoot technical issues
- Introduce new industry standards and techniques that deliver improved software solutions; evaluate new technologies for inclusion in developed software solutions
- Lead the development team in the deployment/implementation of software solutions; review software changes completed by team members
- Certify the proper functioning and performance of software components using repeatable, reproducible and reportable software testing methodologies; support software infrastructure by identifying and diagnosing software failures
What you need to succeed at XPO:
At a minimum, you'll need:
- Bachelor's degree in Software Engineering or related technical field, or certification in software engineering from ACM or IEEE
- 7 years of experience in software solutions development, preferably in medium to large corporate environments or with commercial software companies
- Experience with rapid programming, agile development, software patterning and refactoring techniques; data marshalling, data transformation and data representation technologies (single-byte characters, multi-byte characters, XML, stylesheets); open source technologies and cloud services (including trade-offs among various providers)
- Experience with process communication techniques (shared memory, message queues, semaphores, mutexes); SQL and relational databases (DB2/UDB, Oracle, MySQL); Unix, Java and Windows architecture and programming interfaces; concurrent processing models, constructs and techniques (threaded processes, thread synchronization, deadlock prevention and error recovery)
- Knowledge of operating environment technologies (network, server, operating systems, database systems)
- Expert knowledge of the strengths and weaknesses of common programming languages (C, C++, C#, Java, Visual Basic)
- Expert knowledge and experience with the industry standard IDEs (Eclipse, Visual Studio) for Unix, Java and Windows
- Knowledge of application-specific technologies (image/graphics processing, character and symbol recognition, data acquisition, and others specific to business application)
It'd be great if you also have:
XPO is a leading provider of cutting-edge supply chain solutions to the most successful companies in the world. We help our customers manage their goods most efficiently using our technology and services. Our greatest strength is our global team - energetic, innovative people of all experience levels and talents who make XPO a great place to work.
We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, disability, veteran or other protected status.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified. All employees may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.