Manufacturing Manager, Extraction
Flow Kana is the first sustainable, sungrown cannabis company to embrace the small, independent farm ecosystem. We partner with, and give scale to, craft farmers in Northern California and values-aligned brands who honor beyond-organic farming practices. We offer a wide range of processing, co-packing, white label, and distribution services to a growing list of partners including brands, dispensaries, distributors, and manufacturers, who all share our values and vision of building a better supply chain for our industry.
Through a values-driven approach and a regulated market, we're breaking down prohibition stigmas to show the important role that cannabis plays in treating countless common medical conditions. We're building an agricultural model that empowers small, independent farmers, that can be replicated worldwide, supporting Flow Kana's vision: to become the world's largest provider of sungrown, organic cannabis products. If this gets you excited, too, come work with us!
The Manufacturing Manager of our new Manufacturing business unit, will help establish our manufacturing facility and will be responsible for all extraction activities including product manufacturing, achieving performance targets, and managing all aspects of the Manufacturing Team. Expertise in plant extraction, purification, and chemical separation techniques or related experience is required. Strong initiative, attention to detail, communication skills, as well as strict adherence to local, state and federal regulations are critical to this role. The Manufacturing Manager will also be responsible for developing and maintaining Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) in accordance with cGMP standards.
The successful candidate for this role will have the managerial skills necessary to play a critical role in maintaining and enhancing the production and packaging efficiency, consistency, accuracy, safety and overall quality control. The Manufacturing Manager must also identify potential suppliers of ingredients, packaging and equipment; aligning internal resources and capacity for expanding the product line.
The Manufacturing Manager is a people manager at heart who is motivated by being a strong leader and mentor who understands the requirements of a dynamic and ever-changing environment and maintains a can-do attitude.
What you'll do:
- Manage the daily activities of the extraction team including planning, scheduling, organizing, assigning and coordinating activities and resources to meet production requirements and deadlines
- Develop, maintain, and implement standard operating procedures for all products and techniques developed
- Manage quality control and assurance program
- Develop and maintain accurate records
- Safety & Compliance - calibration and upkeep of all laboratory equipment, fire suppression equipment, and hydrocarbon/oxygen sensors in accordance with internal policies as well as state, local and federal law enforcement
- Equipment Maintenance - Maintain accurate and up to date maintenance logs, oversee and validate all maintenance activities, interface with equipment providers, consultants, and maintenance technicians to ensure consistent operation of all extraction systems
- Document and train staff on proper operation, use and care of all equipment used Maintain a safe and hygienic extraction and laboratory environment in accordance with local, state and national fire codes as well as OSHA standards
- Prepare and manage weekly production schedule, prepare weekly production reports and attend weekly production meetings
- Oversee preparation of equipment and plant material for extraction
- Perform ongoing data analytics to develop and implement processes/methods to maximize, yield, quality, and efficiency
- Partner with R&D to develop and implement new production and extraction ideas in a commitment to constantly innovate
- Maintain accountability and inventory of all raw materials, finished products, and by-products of the extraction process
- Foster a supportive, positive and inclusive team environment to build morale
- Provide leadership to ensure that a culture of safety and compliance with company policies are adhered to consistently and effectively
- Provide quality, timely and consistent performance management reviews as well as support ongoing performance recognition and disciplinary action as needed
- Maintain management tool(s) to control the timely closure of any investigation or Risk Assessment Corrective & Preventive Actions
- Establish and maintain equipment files to include any qualification/commissioning documents, repair or modification history, preventive maintenance and calibration records
- Contribute to the selection of new extraction equipment purchases
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
What you'll need:
- Bachelor's degree in Chemical/Mechanical Engineering or Natural Sciences, or a related field preferred though equivalent combinations of education and experience may be considered
- 2-5 years experience in extractions of cannabis or other botanicals
- 5 years of management experience in extraction and/or related field
- Previous experience in laboratory/quality control environment
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Required knowledge of accepted quality control procedures and guidelines
- Thorough understanding of solvent-based extraction
- Quality assurance background preferred, including scientific writing capabilities for SOPs
- Comfortable working in a dynamic, start-up environment
- Proven leadership and people management experience
- Strong computer skills including proficiency in Google Suite and Microsoft Office, comfortability with various software and databases
- Experience with lean manufacturing processes and best practices in safety
What we offer:
- Competitive pay
- Health benefits
- PTO & paid holidays
- Snacks & drinks
- Dog friendly offices
- Monthly CSA box
Why Flow Kana?
You've probably heard cannabis will be a $40 billion industry as early as 2020. While it is no doubt there is enormous market potential, more importantly, the Flow Kana team sees an incredible opportunity to shape the future of the entire industry. We have a team of over 200 employees across our 6 locations and are doubling in size in 2019!
Our network of independent farmers are true stewards of the land and have spent their lives balancing a unique, harmonious relationship between the farm, the genetics and the terroir using only organic methods. The result is an unparalleled product that simply cannot be found anywhere else.
We believe that everyone should know who grows their cannabis — including where and how it's grown. Our values as a company are simple — we are pioneers of positive impact, and value respect, humility, and grit above all else.
Pioneering spirit — We are all professional leaders in our communities seeking continuous improvement in the growth of the cannabis industry with adaptability, initiative, determination, and commitment.
Positive Impact — We are socially and environmentally conscious, community oriented, and focused on identifying the highest impact we can have for the greater good.
Respect — We honor and respect the plant, each other, the heritage of the farmers and producers and the journeys that have brought each one of us together.
Humility — We approach all of our interactions with our team, customers and stakeholders with our authentic selves and an ego-less confidence that seeks to with integrity, collaborate, add value and strengthen the Flow Kana brand from the heart.
Grit — We are tenacious and always hungry. We never settle and conquer all challenges in front of us. We are resilient and operate with great integrity. We all are destigmatizing the perceptions of the cannabis community through transparent, professional, best in class performance.
Apply Online Below