Logistics done differently.
Named one of the most admired companies in the world according to Fortune Magazine, XPO Logistics is Transport Topics' #1 North American logistics company-and we're still growing. It takes a lot of dedicated, hardworking, ambitious people to make a company like ours thrive. As the Director of Operations Research and Data Analytics, you will be directing researchers, software developers and data analytics leads to maximize team performance. You'll have a starring role in helping us continue to provide daily freight solutions to our global customers. If you're looking for an opportunity with a company that's clearly going places, join us at XPO.
Pay, benefits and more.
We are eager to attract the best, so we offer competitive compensation and a generous benefits package, including full health insurance (medical, dental and vision), 401(k), life insurance, disability and the opportunity to participate in a company incentive plan.
What you'll do on a typical day:
- Represent the company on the development of patents and other intellectual property in the scientific community through conference participation, research publications and collaboration
- Recruit and onboard new research team members
- Manage collaboration with Sales, Pricing and Operations teams to define and analyze management challenges, and identify opportunities for improvement
- Support the development of integrated math-based optimization (e.g., linear programming, mixed integer programming, nonlinear programming and simulation models) to help solve pricing, sales and operational problems
- Present candidate models to management for critique, review and approval
- Facilitate the team's ability to create software services that integrate these models into other software systems; optimize the performance of the models and software services
- Set up and coordinate design reviews of the operational systems that incorporate the output of optimization and simulation models
- Select third-party software (e.g., CPLEX, Gurobi, Matlab, R, Sawtooth) and hardware solutions for use by the software service
What you need to succeed at XPO:
At a minimum, you'll need:
- Experience in managing highly technical focus teams, delivering results using data and model analytics
- Demonstrated ability to work with, understand and exploit the interplay between mathematical statistics and data mining, large-scale relational data and related data visualization techniques
- Strong skills in the theoretical and technical application of statistics, forecasting and data mining to help develop models to solve complex problems using some of the following quantitative methods: CART, MARS, VAR, multivariate regression, factor analysis, econometric time series analysis, simultaneous equation models, decision trees, hypothesis testing, neural nets, outlier identification, ARIMA, Monte Carlo simulations, etc.
- Knowledge of one or more object-oriented programming languages and statistical/data mining packages, such as SAS, R, SPSS, S-Plus or Sawtooth
- Proficiency in SQL
It'd be great if you also have:
- Ph.D. in Statistics, Operations Research (with a focus on statistical forecasting and data mining), Econometrics, Transportation or Logistics, or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Experience building large-scale industrial models; exposure to operations research, linear and nonlinear optimization, and some experience with demand modeling within the transportation and logistics industry
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; strong interpersonal and collaboration skills
- Ability to consistently maintain a professional demeanor and interact respectfully and collaboratively with coworkers, managers and others across the enterprise
- Proven ability to follow direction, remain engaged/productive and stay flexible/adaptable to changing conditions and expectations
Be part of something big.
XPO is a leading provider of cutting-edge supply chain solutions to the most successful companies in the world. We help our customers manage their goods most efficiently using our technology and services. Our greatest strength is our global team - energetic, innovative people of all experience levels and talents who make XPO a great place to work.
We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, disability, veteran or other protected status.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified. All employees may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.