Your Career Begins at Timken
If you're ready for a challenging career that provides you with the ability to advance personally and professionally, look to Timken. Our associates make the world more productive by improving the efficiency and reliability of the machinery that keeps industry in motion.
Purpose of Position
This position provides technical leadership and management in the area of precision industrial dimensional metrology research and development (R&D) in support of Timken's global business needs. This position will lead efforts to research, develop, demonstrate, document, and disseminate technologies and knowledge to improve the effectiveness, efficiency, and reliability of product dimensional metrology in manufacturing operations. The position ensures that the appropriate core competencies are maintained and developed to provide the necessary support to business units (BUs) in maintenance of current products and development of new products.
- Manage, lead, and contribute to development efforts of the Metrology Technology R&D group which consists of roughly 5 to 10 engineers/analysts. Ensure the group's tactics ultimately support the business units' needs by eventually leading to implementation in manufacturing operations of reliable, efficient, and effective product measurement systems for challenging applications.
- Manage teamwork, project rigor, and adherence to project plans and metrics.
- Devote roughly 50% of one's time to successful independent project work.
- Function as the business units' primary contact for dimensional metrology technologies.
- Lead the R&D platform for dimensional metrology technology. Ensure its objectives, roadmap, and projects are well aligned to company strategy and deliver maximum value across multiple time horizons.
- Partner with product design and development to ensure tolerancing design for metrology practices are successfully implemented.
- Maintain awareness of industry technology developments and justify their investigation as appropriate.
- Act as a mentor to other associates, helping them to develop excellent technical, problem solving, and leadership skills.
- Develop networks with individuals both inside and outside the organization, specifically with technical societies, universities, suppliers, and customers.
Technical/Functional Skills Required
- Strong fundamental and applied knowledge in precision industrial dimensional metrology.
- Understanding of metrology concepts, GD&T, calibration, measurement uncertainty, MSA, R&R, statistical analysis.
- Strong familiarity with contact and non-contact metrology technologies/sensors such as CMMs, profilometers, surfometers, roundness, automated in-line systems, LVDT, laser triangulation, structured light, interferometry, chromatic confocal, capacitance.
- Familiarity of dimensional requirements of precision components such as bearings or gears.
- Track record of significant accomplishment in undertaking, managing, and delivering on advanced technical projects.
- Proven ability to influence internal and external customers.
- Demonstrated competencies in leadership/management.
- Bachelor's Degree and 12 years of experience related to manufacturing and/or metrology,
- Master's Degree and 10 years of experience related to manufacturing and/or metrology, or
- PhD and 5 years of experience related to manufacturing and/or metrology.
- Degree(s) required in Mechanical, Industrial, Electrical, or Manufacturing Engineering.
- 2 years of experience in engineering management.
All qualified applicants shall be treated equally according to their individual qualifications, abilities, experiences and other employment standards. There will be no discrimination due to gender or gender identity, race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, sexual orientation, veteran/military status or any other basis protected by applicable law.