Logistics done differently.
At XPO Logistics, we invest hundreds of millions in technology every year so that we can continue to develop state-of-the-art solutions for our customers. Are you looking for an opportunity to take your career to the next level with a rapidly expanding global company? As the Principal Data Scientist, you will be responsible for leading and driving the overall design and development of end-to-end data science solutions to support strategic business and IT initiatives. You will also coordinate the execution of work across team members, guide architectural troubleshooting and communicate progress and results. Become a part of our growing, dynamic team and we'll help you develop to a level that will exceed your expectations.
Pay, benefits and more.
We are eager to attract the best, so we offer competitive compensation and a generous benefits package, including full health insurance (medical, dental and vision), 401(k), life insurance, disability and the opportunity to participate in a company incentive plan.
What you'll do on a typical day:
- Lead design and architect solutions for data science and data engineering projects; confirm delivery requirements and plan, track and communicate resources and delivery plan; assist with development work as needed
- Understand and improve data science standard patterns, templates and artifacts for platform architecture, data science development approaches, data models and new technology adoption and rollout
- Define patterns and share technical approaches and best practices among other developers; simplify and communicate completed work to broader audiences across the company
- Mentor other team members on technical skills, best practices, problem-solving approaches and standard patterns
- Troubleshoot technical issues in existing processes and current development work, solicit assistance from other roles and groups, and drive resolution to ensure the integrity of platform quality and project timelines
- Allocate team resources across projects to balance the workload according to available capacity, planning dependencies and prevailing priorities
- Collaborate with IT and business teams to identify and document use cases, performance and capability requirements, and criteria for successful solution delivery
- Support data consumers to ensure they have reliable access to trusted data, and provide occasional 24/7 on-call production support
What you need to succeed at XPO:
At a minimum, you'll need:
- Master's degree in Computer Science, MIS, Engineering, Business or a related field
- 10 years of experience leading and delivering business solutions that rely on data science, Business Intelligence (BI), data warehousing or similar domains
- Successful delivery of 10 or more projects in data science, data engineering or data integration as a tech lead/principal
- Strong understanding of the core principles of data science and machine learning; experience developing solutions using related tools and libraries
- Ability to analyze, summarize and characterize large or small data sets with varying degrees of fidelity or quality; able to identify and explain any insights or patterns within them
- Solid experience applying one or more of the following analytical methods: regression (preferably mixed models), data classification and reduction (cluster, factor, principle components, decision trees), Bayesian inference or other advanced machine learning techniques
- Strong understanding of and experience with advanced statistical theoretical knowledge
- Solid experience in exploratory data analysis and visualization using R and Python (Numpy, Pandas, Scipy, Plotly, Matplotlib)
It'd be great if you also have:
- Data Science specialization from Coursera, Udacity, Data Camp, etc., Certified Business Intelligence Professional from TDWI, Certified Data Management Professional from DAMA, and/or certifications in data modeling and data engineering
- 10 years of hands-on experience in delivering solutions in at least two of the following areas: data science, data modeling, data integration or BI
- 5 years of hands-on experience in delivering solutions in at least two of the following areas: data science, data analysis, geo spatial, finance, econometrics, Cloud computing, big data or database management
Be part of something big.
XPO is a leading provider of cutting-edge supply chain solutions to the most successful companies in the world. We help our customers manage their goods most efficiently using our technology and services. Our greatest strength is our global team - energetic, innovative people of all experience levels and talents who make XPO a great place to work.
We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, disability, veteran or other protected status.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified. All employees may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.