Your Career Begins at Timken
If you're ready for a challenging career that provides you with the ability to advance personally and professionally, look to Timken. Our associates make the world more productive by improving the efficiency and reliability of the machinery that keeps industry in motion.
Purpose of Position
This position exists within R&D's Manufacturing Technology team to discover, develop, apply and implement new finishing technologies to our manufacturing plants with the goal to reduce manufacturing cost or to launch new manufacturing systems to make new products. Critical finishing technologies include grinding, hard turning, superfinishing, mass finishing, non-traditional finishing, and other related technologies.
- Uses sound judgment and disciplined engineering practices to solve specific problems.
- Independently investigates, evaluates, selects, and applies finishing technologies such as grinding, hard turning, superfinishing, mass finishing etc.
- Makes proposals, understanding business and technical considerations, to apply new technologies to our worldwide manufacturing organization with a goal to reduce cost, launch new products, grow sales, improve quality, etc.
- Leads the development, application, and implementation of new technology while managing the project team, plan, cost, and timing.
- Liaises with individuals both inside and outside of the company, specifically with universities, technical societies, suppliers, and customers.
- Mentors other associates to grow in leadership and technical expertise.
- Maintains strong interest and balance in both hands-on and analytical work across the project portfolio.
Technical/Functional Skills Required
- Experience taking an open-ended situation and developing a research program to address it and draw scientifically valid conclusions.
- Fundamental knowledge of engineering principals and manufacturing processes with emphasis on finishing processes.
- Experience in development and application of new manufacturing processes or methods.
- Working knowledge of lean manufacturing principles.
- Advanced software and computing skills, e.g., MS Office, engineering systems/databases, CAD, JMP, Matlab etc.
- Master's degree in Engineering with 5 or more years of relevant work experience, or
- Preferred: PhD degree in Engineering with emphasis on finishing processes with 2 or more years of relevant work experience
All qualified applicants shall be treated equally according to their individual qualifications, abilities, experiences and other employment standards. There will be no discrimination due to gender or gender identity, race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, sexual orientation, veteran/military status or any other basis protected by applicable law.