Your Career Begins at Timken
If you're ready for a challenging career that provides you with the ability to advance personally and professionally, look to Timken. Our associates make the world more productive by improving the efficiency and reliability of the machinery that keeps industry in motion.
The purpose of this position is directly accountable for creating competitive advantage by developing and implementing commodity strategies and tactics. This involves analyzing supply markets, formulating commodity strategies/tactics, executing those strategies/tactics, and then managing the resulting supplier network.
This position is also directly accountable for creating competitive advantage through the development, management, and improvement of the supply network. This involves holding suppliers accountable for world class service, delivery, quality, lead time and cost performance; and engaging suppliers to fix or improve performance, the effect of which is critical to the seamless operation of "integrated" supplier-Timken supply chains around the world. Building and maintaining relationships with key suppliers is critical to this objective. As is, providing clear expectations, and developing and negotiating effective agreements.
- Supplier Relationships - Owns the overall supplier relationship. Monitors broad set of interactions at all levels of the organization, from day to day scheduling and delivery, to the exception management of quality issues, to long-term contract negotiations with supplier executives. Communicates clear expectations and provides regular feedback regarding performance, opportunities for improvement, and other business matters.
- Supplier Performance Management - Owns overall supplier performance. Communicates cost, quality and delivery performance expectations, monthly/quarterly results, and potential consequences, good and bad. Engages appropriate functional teams, as required, to fix and/or improve supplier performance, using problem solving and process improvement tools such as lean, pareto analysis, benchmarking, etc.
- Commodity Strategies - Owns the commodity strategy, including the supply chain design. Leads the development of the strategies and implementation the tactics to achieve the business objectives.
- Strategic Sourcing - Uses the sourcing process to identify, evaluate, and select suppliers that support the commodity strategies.
- Project Management - Leads cross functional teams and/or collaborates with supply chain, supplier quality development, global metallurgical quality, engineering, process development, product management, sales, and operations to develop and implement tactics that support commodity strategies, business initiatives, and continuous improvement.
- Contract Management / Negotiations - Leads the development and management of contracts, price agreements, commercial terms, commercial issues, etc. Applies world class negotiation skills to resolve difficult issues and maximize benefits to the Timken Company. Of all corporate functions, only product pricing has more leverage to the bottom line than purchasing.
- Technology and Lean - Understands the supplier's process technologies, to ensure the best fit between Timken requirements and supplier capabilities. Works with supplier to optimize the overall effectiveness and efficiency of the total value stream.
- Capacity Management - Assures supply base has sufficient capacity to support Timken plant capacity. Works with Timken supply chain to define and execute the operating rules for internal and external capacity, when both exist.
- Strategic Thinking - develop commodity strategies, solve complex problems
- Results Focus - achieve cost savings and improvement targets, execute the sourcing process
- Project Management - lead cross-functional teams, sometimes across the globe
- Negotiation skills - prepare, identify/create leverage, apply negotiation tools, achieve negotiation objectives
- Supplier operations and supply chain - understand supplier's supply chain, manufacturing capability, and quality controls
- Product knowledge - understand requirements of product
- Bachelor's Degree in Business, Supply Chain, Engineering or similar with 12+ years of related experience.
- Master's Degree in Business, Supply Chain, Engineering or similar with 10+ years of related experience.
All qualified applicants shall be treated equally according to their individual qualifications, abilities, experiences and other employment standards. There will be no discrimination due to gender or gender identity, race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, sexual orientation, veteran/military status or any other basis protected by applicable law.