Overview The Director of Application Solutions plays an integral role in Yusen Logistics (Americas) Inc. Responsibilities include the overall application strategy of the organization, the identification and delivery of software solutions, and driving continuous improvement that creates measurable value and delivers the outcomes required by the business. In doing so, the incumbent works in a collaborative manner with business leaders, process owners, and subject matter experts to define the needs of the business and cultivates a strong ecosystem of internal resources, partners and service providers to deliver against objectives. A strong understanding and the ability to proactively manage the product life cycle from design, through development, introduction, growth, maturity and retirement is a required competency. The incumbent, manages the IT Application Department, ensuring the development of our staff, the acquisition of new skillsets and a positive, productive work environment
Responsibilities Leadership and Management Oversee all activities that optimize the value, cost and risk of application products:
- Provide leadership, vision and direction to the applications organization to ensure it will contribute to the company achieving its goals.
- Work with VP or IT, CIO and other IT leaders and peers to develop overall IT strategy in the context of the business strategy and initiatives.
- Partner with business process owners for value creation through applications to manage work flows, automate processes, manage documents electronically, visualize data, and applying mobile applications.
- Manages team scheduling full time, contractors, and offshore to ensure adequate staffing levels at all hours, including weekend and holiday coverage.
- Develop productive relationships with business leaders and portfolio managers across the organization to influence how applications can enable new sources of value.
- Define and enhance methodologies and practices for the application life cycle management in line with best practice and practical experience of continuous improvement.
- Ensure that application processes (including those of external service providers) are conducted in line with corporate technical policies and applicable standards.
- Manage application group personnel, developing their skills and capabilities to meet the needs of the organization, as well as building on existing recruiting capabilities to address new needs and skills gaps.
- Work with portfolio managers to implement and manage application product roadmaps status reporting, metrics and benchmarks.
- Manage relationships with major vendors and service providers to ensure they cost-effectively meet the needs of the organization.
- Conduct regular surveys of stakeholder satisfaction with application products, publish the results and, where necessary, implement action plans to improve satisfaction.
- Manages IT Development Service Levels to be met consistently with focus on root cause resolution for impactful or re-occurring matters.
- Overseeing the assessment of the technical and business fitness of the application and product portfolio and their associated costs and risks.
- Facilitating the application product governance process to gain consensus on a prioritized set of measurable business outcomes that applications and products must support.
- Working with portfolio managers and stakeholders to define a prioritized set of business outcomes and application work to accomplish those outcomes within the limitations of the prescribed budget.
- Working with stakeholders to accomplish this application product work in a way that improves the business and technical fitness of the application portfolio and minimizes its ongoing support costs.
- Overseeing the application product organization's successful delivery of these business outcomes in partnership with business colleagues. (Management of the team)
- Overseeing benefits realization to ensure the business outcomes are achieved.
- Overseeing support activities in conjunction with infrastructure and operations to ensure the application products perform well in production.
- Overseeing development of processes and tools in conjunction with infrastructure and operations to automate the handoff of code releases from development to operations ( DevOps, Agile Development ).
- Working with the Director, Information Security to ensure that the organization's application products are effectively secured and that risks are mitigated.
- Responsible for the day-to-day effectiveness and clear communication of IT products related to system integrations, business intelligence, 3 rd party applications, and bespoke software solutions.
- Delivers requests based on priority order determined through active communication with business stakeholders or based on workflow categories.
- Mentors and develops staff to ensure each Application Development employee has appropriate objectives and career path defined.
Behaviors and Competencies Acts in a leadership role and must demonstrate the following leadership attributes:
- High levels of personal integrity when conducting professional affairs of the organization and dealing with sensitive and confidential data relating to risks and costs.
- Calmness and clarity of thought while under pressure.
- The ability to uphold the goals and culture of the organization.
- The ability to lead, enable and motivate teams by providing advice and guidance in a nonjudgmental fashion.
- An understanding of strategic business objectives and business domain knowledge combined with the ability to drive results toward those objectives.
- Openness to, and the ability to deal with, rapid change in business needs, processes and technologies.
- Knowledgeable of current and emerging technological applications useful to the Logistics industry.
- Ensures requests are handled in accordance with IT Policies.
- Monitors/tracks overall problem resolution practices within Application Development.
- Provides business, systems, hardware, and applications expertise to the Development team.
- Actively manages licensing to ensure compliance.
- Provides appropriate advance notification and training when system changes or problems may occur.
- Analyzes software requirements to provide cost-effective solutions to meet project initiatives.
- Ensures development activities follow best practices acceptable by internal and external audits, including JSOX.
- Ensures the integrity of production systems are maintained while effectively managing changes.
- Develops and reports KPI's related to application development activities for the enterprise.
- Maintains application solution Business Continuity Plans.
- Bachelor's degree, preferably in IT.
- 10 years IT experience.
- 5 years of application development management experience.
- 5 years' experience in an Application Development role in a medium to large company, including experience with issue tracking and reporting tools.
- Experience maintaining SOX/ JSOX policies and procedures.
- Working knowledge of software development best practice products for source code management, change control, cloud deployments, containerization, and data visualization.
- Working knowledge of Logistics systems (e.g., TMS, WMS, YMS, Customs Brokerage, Freight Forwarding) and Supply Chain business processes (e.g., Warehousing, Trans-loading, Intermodal, Dray, Truckload, LTL, Pricing and CHB).
- Ability to travel up to 25% of the time with short notice.
- Strong communication skills with a proven ability to understand key concepts and communicate effectively with technical staff, business stakeholders and senior management.
- Proven ability to communicate technical concepts to nontechnical people to enhance understanding and drive to decisions that lead to positive outcomes.
- Proven ability to collaborate, build relationships and influence individuals at all levels in a matrix-management environment (as well as external vendors and service providers) to ensure that segregation and overlapping roles are identified and coordinated.
- Strong organizational skills, the ability to perform under pressure and management of multiple priorities with competing demands for resources.
- Strong analytical, data-processing and problem-solving skills.
- Proficiency in process formulation and improvement.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature of work being performed. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required.
Yusen offers a generous Employee Benefits Package including:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision beginning the 1 st of the month following start date
- 401k with a company match
- Flexible Spending Accounts, Life and Accidental Death & Dismemberment Insurance, Short & Long Term Disability, Tuition Assistance Program, Commuter Benefits, vacation , and much more.
Any and all benefits offered are subject to the eligibility requirements, terms, and provisions set forth in the respective policies and plan documents, which you may request from Human Resources.
About Yusen Logistics (Americas )
As a part of the NYK Group, Yusen Logistics (Americas) Inc. operates a network that provides specialization in key logistics products to include International Freight Forwarding, Integrated Solutions (Customized Logistics) and Contract Logistics services, along with transportation solutions all while providing complete and seamless US wide coverage. For more information, please visit our website at www.yusen-logistics.com .
Yusen Logistics (Americas) Inc. is committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants without regard to race, religion, color, sex, national origin, citizenship status, uniform service member status, age, disability, sexual and gender orientation, genetic information or any other protected status in accordance with all applicable federal, state and local laws. This commitment extends to all aspects of the company's employment practices including, but not limited to, recruiting, hiring, promoting, transferring, compensation, benefits, training, leaves of absence, termination, and other terms and conditions of employment.