The Seafreight Manager is responsible to lead the seafreight department in all operational disciplines, regulatory compliance, productivity through optimized processes and customer satisfaction. This includes control and improvement of operational procedures, liaison for sales plus financial and yield management (P/L). The Seafreight Manager is required to perform a variety of duties as outlined in operational procedures and in support of the organization's/branch's /divisional / product activities. The Seafreight Manager will assist and support the ZS with the implementation of the Seafreight Strategy.
- Overall responsible to manage the movement of customer cargo in & out of the United States in accordance with organizational policy and procedure ensuring compliance with relevant local, country (e.g. ISF, AES) and international law and processes
- Evaluate existing process, procedures and working environments to improve and advance the service level to the customer, profitability of the corporation, and well being of fellow staff members
- Investigate, plan and implement transport methods that strategically effective and relevant, and which optimally met the needs of the organization and its suppliers and customers
- Work in accordance with QSHE working instructions and procedures
- Monitoring of performance (sub-contractors, productivity, quality of service, incident management by applying root cause method and corrective actions)
- Problem resolution and point of escalation per escalation path guidelines
- Provide timely responses to external/internal customers and other K N offices
- Maintain a continuous improvement process to increase efficiencies and improve performance to customers: Ensure personnel are trained, cross-training supported, technically competent and well informed of changes in customer service requirements and regulatory matters; Increase competency level of all ocean freight personnel to ensure quality, compliance and outstanding service
- Provide training and education to team members and collaborate with other supervisors/managers
- Evaluate staff performance on a regular basis and through the Performance Review process
- Hold regular (at least once per month) meetings with the department staff which should be documented (minutes of meeting)
- Insure balanced workload distribution
- Staff/Employee management
- Responsible for financial performance of assigned cost centers
- P/L(profit/loss) analysis : Review of activities to analyze the profit and loss
- Responsible for FSL transactions including correct GP reporting and decision taking on closing, accrual and defer status
- FSL report analysis: File Audit requirements include detailed explanation of late billing, losses, GP over 30% on each file – detail on each file base.
- Accounting: Accounts Payable - vendor invoice auditing for accuracy, E-Bills;Monitor timely vendor payables;
- Assure complete billing of files in accordance with corporate KPI; resolution of billing discrepancies with clients and KN Internal
- Monitor traffic and keep Management (ZS/BM) informed of potential impacts to financial/volume targets
- Visit customers to improve communication, provide technical knowledge and consult client on transportation needs
- Ensuring department delivers customer peace of mind through customer service.
- Assure proper information flow with sales on changes and/or problems with external customers, with specific focus on Sea Freight Forwarding concerns
- Maintain lines of communication with clients, vendors and international operations contacts,
- Review accuracy of ABT/Customer Profiles and rate structure
- Responsible for successful business implementation on operational level to meet customer expectations including assist with Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) input
- Monitor vendors' compliance with service standards and requirements as per contract terms
- Engage in rate negotiation as deemed necessary, e.g. Trucking, Warehousing etc. with 3rd party vendors
- Assist and support with incoming quote/rate/ RFQ request in collaboration with Pricing Teams
- Provide input and support to ZS with Seafreight Strategy roll out
YOUR SKILLS AND EXPERIENCES
- Ideal candidate for the SeaFreight Manager's position must have 5 years' experience in international freight forwarding, with thorough knowledge and understanding of seafreight product / environment with focus on operations, administration and accounting.
- Minimum 3 years managerial experience of operational department
- Customer focused
- Decision making capabilities
- Ability to work in a diverse environment and culture
- Network and relationship building both with external and internal customers
- Good communications and interpersonal skills
- Good Analytical skills
- Self-starter, disciplined with leadership and motivational abilities
- Proficient in MS products / fully computer literate
- Ability to be profit conscious
- Must be detail oriented, thorough and accurate and have the ability to efficiently solve problems through proven analytical and problem solving skills
GOOD REASONS TO JOIN
We offer competitive compensation, a comprehensive benefits package, employee discounts, tuition reimbursement, excellent training programs and a highly dynamic global work environment.
ABOUT KUEHNE NAGEL
With over 82,000 employees at some 1,300 locations in over 100 countries, the Kuehne Nagel Group is one of the world's leading logistics companies.
Kuehne Nagel Inc. is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, sexual orientation, sex, age, national origin, gender, gender identity, genetic information, uniform service, protected veteran status or disability, or any characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law with respect to employment opportunities.