Your Career Begins at Timken
If you're ready for a challenging career that provides you with the ability to advance personally and professionally, look to Timken. Our associates make the world more productive by improving the efficiency and reliability of the machinery that keeps industry in motion.
Purpose of Position
This position exists to improve Timken's manufacturing technology worldwide by applying software development and software engineering expertise in support of solutions which reduce cost and/or improve quality, reliability, and overall manufacturing capability. As customer demand and competitive pressures increase, manufacturers like Timken are continually driven to improve competiveness. Often, this means increased levels of automation with more decision, control, and analysis being performed in software. The individual who fills this position will help to deliver greater competitiveness through proven engineering, a solid understanding of software development, the management and flow of data, and the latest advances in hardware, software tools, and applications of artificial intelligence and machine learning in decision logic.
- Subject matter expert with strong knowledge of the software engineering discipline.
- Design, develop, optimize, debug, and maintain industrial manufacturing software applications using accepted engineering practices and tools.
- Perform language and platform conversions, rewrites, or upgrades of existing software applications as required.
- Develop specialized graphical user interfaces with heavy use of 2D, 3D, and 4D data visualizations.
- Integrate with sensors, motion controllers, and other programs using TCP sockets and/or associated vendor-supplied APIs.
- Design, develop, and maintain algorithms related to data and signal analysis, curve fitting, optimization, machine learning, parallel processing, etc.
- Design, develop, and maintain databases and associated tools for storage / retrieval of measurement and process control data.
- Participate in the exploration of cloud computing, cloud storage, and cloud analytics initiatives.
- Participate in the exploration of artificial intelligence and machine learning for the purpose of automating decisions.
- Identify and mitigate security and data integrity concerns related to deployed software applications.
- Maintain software engineering with revision control and supporting documentation.
- Develop and maintain project plans, budgets, and summaries for project approvals and periodic reporting.
- Document important advances within internal research reports.
- Write / publish external papers and present at relevant conferences when justified and aligned with Timken's goals.
- Support embedded system development activities when required.
- Support investigations and implementations of novel metrology methods, devices, and/or applications.
- Travel (including internationally) up to 15% for on-site debugging, vendor evaluations, conferences, manufacturing plant support, training, etc.
Technical / Functional Skills Required
- Highly proficient in C/C++, SQL, and GUI development
- Experience with Visual Studio IDE and TFS
- Experience with Linux and GNU tools and cross platform development
- Experience with GPU programming
- Experience with OpenGL, Direct3D, or other relevant APIs for graphical display
- Experience with numerical analysis methods, digital signal processing, and/or statistical methods
- Bachelor's degree in Software Engineering or related discipline and 7 years of relevant experience, or
- Master's degree in Software Engineering or related discipline and 5 years of relevant experience, or
- PhD in Software Engineering or related discipline and preferably 1 year of experience.
All qualified applicants shall be treated equally according to their individual qualifications, abilities, experiences and other employment standards. There will be no discrimination due to gender or gender identity, race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, sexual orientation, veteran/military status or any other basis protected by applicable law.