Manager, Port Service
Manager, Port Service
Welcome to Hapag-Lloyd, a leading global logistics company. We are a team of nearly 12,800 employees working across 400 offices in 130 countries. All working together to ensure the flow of goods never stops. Right now, we're hiring a Manager, Port Service in Montreal, QC. Let's navigate the future, together.
What does it mean to join a leading global liner shipping company? It means you'll have access to outstanding technology and challenging job opportunities around the world. It means working for a company that cares about the environment, safety, and quality management. It means we set high standards. That's how we've been setting the benchmark for more than 170 years. Now here's your chance to become a part of what we do next.
The purpose of this position is to drive terminal performance, contribute to the continuous improvements and cost savings by defining and implementing measures and actions to that effect. Ensure that a chosen and contracted supplier performs according to their commitments. Communicate directly with terminal management to define and apply corrective actions immediately and ensure timely feedback of outcome and lessons learned to Regional Operations Management.
Monitor the implementation of improvement measures during pre- and after berthing and during terminal operations:
- Ensure vessel arrival and berthing processes are within target duration.
- Ensure crane availability and performance align with expectation (stowage provided).
- Discuss deviations and quick fixes with Terminal (real-time).
- Constantly seek to identify further improvement measures and ensure transfer of ideas to Regional Operations Management.
Conduct regular reviews of overall action plans from terminal partnering projects:
- Host regular Performance Dialogues with Terminal Management to discuss and implement improvement measures based on analyses or internal feedback.
- Ensure alignment of definition and implementation of corrective measures with terminal operations.
- Drive continuous improvement by developing additional levers.
- Provide feedback from frequent interaction to Regional Operations Management.
- Ensure that measures with internal responsibility is being transferred within the organization.
Identify opportunities for schedule/vessel space optimization
- Review and decide on loading of additional units in direct alignment with terminals and internal stakeholders (e.g. slot control, vessel planner)
- Good understanding of the shipment processes
- Knowledge in terminal/ port operations essential. Awareness of regional factors for ship and port calls. (Tidal conditions, encounter regulations, wind and weather dependencies, currents, port restrictions from authorities, max. draught in the port and on the river).
- Ability to follow up on projects in a structural way.
- Effective communication, co-ordination and conflict management skills
- Ability to link and co- ordinate business-related developments through the organization
- Reporting of management related information
- Cost Control background is eligible
- Experience in direct contact with customers and/ or suppliers, service partner
- Experience in buying, negotiation and/or contracting activities
- Open minded for new ideas
- Ability to develop innovative solutions
- Taking ownership
- Able to work independently
- Self-organized and well-structured working style
- Friendly and open-minded manner, able to communicate with other staff and suppliers in a positive mode even under time pressure, self-confidence, service orientated, team skills assertive
- Available to be on site during vessel calls to oversee real time execution of measures
- Willingness to work beyond regular office hours
- Availability for occasional travel, especially in the first months (on boarding and project phase)
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. The position will require interaction with the Ship's command, and thus candidate should be able to transition to/ from the ship via the gangway.
While performing the duties of this job the incumbent is regularly required to sit, talk and hear. The incumbent regularly uses hands and fingers in the course of daily job duties, including the use of a personal computer. The vision requirement includes close vision. May incur mental stress due to time deadlines, pressures and demands from both internal and external sources.
This is a great opportunity to grow with an industry leader.
Hapag-Lloyd is an Equal Opportunity employer that maintains a drug-free workplace and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing.