Your Career Begins at Timken
If you're ready for a challenging career that provides you with the ability to advance personally and professionally, look to Timken. Our associates make the world more productive by improving the efficiency and reliability of the machinery that keeps industry in motion.
Machinist/Toolmaker Job Function:
The position of Machinist/Toolmaker will be responsible for taking drawings, blueprints or verbal instructions to build tooling assemblies, fabrications, and bearing components as directed by engineering/shop management. Machinist/Toolmakers are required to use various types of conventional machine tools, precision measurement tools, and various hand tools to accomplish his or her task.
Primary Functions and Responsibilities:
- Analyzes engineering blueprints, operation specifications and other engineering or shop date to determine the proper design of requested tool, jigs, fixtures and other special devices for specified operations
- Perform work in accordance with Shop Traveler instructions and interface with ERP system Epicor
- Ensures design is compatible with specified fabrications procedures and with the limitations of the equipment to be employed
- Verifies conformance of finished work-piece to specifications, using measuring and inspection tools as necessary
- May also review or correct design of existing tools to conform with engineering and production changes
- Fabricates, machines and grinds as necessary to produce tooling, prototype and production parts with close tolerance machining operations including forming, boring, turning, facing, drilling, tapping, honing, etc.
- Performs other duties as required
Skills & Qualifications:
- Must know the working qualities of a wide variety of materials including cast iron, steel, aluminum, copper, brass and other metals and plastics
- Use of precision measuring equipment to include calipers, micrometers, gauges, and DROs
- Capability to make mathematical calculations derived from repair manuals and job routers
- Requires ability to select and use all types of grinding machines, honing, abrasive wheels, holding fixtures, gages, micrometers
- Read and interpret complex mechanical drawing and common work instructions without supervision
- Ability to perform manual machining, grinding, honing and precision material removal to complex specifications with minimal instructions
- Work with mechanical/repair engineering to develop best practices for grinding tooling, abrasive tools and material handling
- Ability to select preferred abrasive tooling such as grinding wheel material and honing stones based on process requirements
- Perform routine basic and complex preventive maintenance on tools and equipment.
- Train newer employees as needed
- Bridgeport Mills - with integrated multi-axis Digital Read-Outs (DRO's)
- Lathes - LeBlond, Republic, and Hardinge
- Multiple presses, surface grinding, band saw, chop saw, and hydraulic presses
All qualified applicants shall be treated equally according to their individual qualifications, abilities, experiences and other employment standards. There will be no discrimination due to gender or gender identity, race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, sexual orientation, veteran/military status or any other basis protected by applicable law.