The Director, Specialized Transport is responsible for the overall performance of the Specialized Transport group within Project Logistics in the US. This individual will report directly to the Vice President, Capital Projects Americas. This individual will be held accountable for the overall P&L of their realm of responsibility. The Director, Specialized Transport will directly manage the all staff assigned to his team (engineers, cargo superintendents, Transport Project Managers and Coordinators). Responsibilities include but are not limited to operational oversight and project management, commercial assistance and overall managerial duties.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Responsible for the US Specialized Transportation group including development and retention of the necessary skills and capabilities required to create and expand a standalone US Domestic product catering to oversize, heavy and complex transportation over all domestic modes of transport.
- Act as a center of excellence for all OOG, HL and specialized transportation requirements for APL USA - both commercially and operationally
- Maintain and enhance supplier vetting procedures and master Agility preferred vendor program.
- Assist in developing logistics plans, transportation options, load out plans etc as required for technical bid submissions.
- Lead regularly scheduled meetings with Project Managers
- Responsible for the continuous improvement of processes to achieve gains in revenues, productivity and quality.
- Expand portfolio and capabilities across all methods of transportation incl Rail.
- Establish clear project specific operating procedures and ensure smooth operational management across all segments of the project - from technical to contracts management and execution.
- Business Development for existing customer relationships and as required, new potential customer opportunities. Strong sense of commercial awareness as new business is a high priority.
- Work closely with global SME's to establish Agility standards related to HL transportation and rigging.
- Ensure rigorous HSE compliance across all operated projects.
- Meet regularly with Sales and Pricing staff in order to follow up on new business opportunities
- Promote and exhibit our core values at every opportunity.
- Responsible for the continuous improvement of processes to achieve gains in revenues, productivity and quality
- Ensures compliance with written operation plan and procedures
- Ensures compliance with customer requirements, quality goals, service levels and performance standards
- Arrange meetings with Area leadership to discuss operational issues
- Customarily and regularly directs the work of all Area personnel ensuring operational excellence and accuracy
- Performs other duties as assigned by VP Capital Projects
- Monitor and offer solutions for service failures, customer service issues, client and intercompany communications.
- Review and monitor synergies between departments.
- Monitor conflicts between departments and bring forth resolutions.
- Analyze and assess root cause and corrective action for issues with clients
- Monitor overtime, confirm necessity and ask other operation personnel for assistance to avoid certain requests, make sure work is getting prioritized properly.
- Mentor staff on all aspects of HL transportation
- Escalate intercompany issues within the Enterprise
- Speak with employees that are not direct reports, listen to their concerns, offer guidance for resolution of issues, and if necessary substantiate our management's decisions.
- Work with direct reports on yearly goals and conduct employee reviews
- Monitor KPI's (Key Performance Indicators)
- Interface with Business Development on current customer trends and provide information that may be valuable when making sales calls
- Interface with major clients when necessary for Public Relation purposes as well as to provide Managerial support where applicable
- Look for viable alternate revenue streams - help create specific client base for US domestic Specialized Transportation.
- Attend and strategize at RFQ meetings
- 10+ years of business experience required
- 10+ years experience in management capacity required
- 10+ years experience in Projects, Oil and Gas, International freight forwarding
- 10+ years experience in increasingly responsible management capacity in freight forwarding required
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience required
- Experience in driving improvements in Business Development and Operations
- Industry experience in both Operations and Business Development required
- Excellent leadership skills
- Ability to motivate employees to achieve excellence
- Excellent analytical abilities
- Excellent customer service skills
- Ability to thrive under pressure
- Ability to effectively manage others
- Polished verbal and written communication skills
- Team player with ability to work with cross-functional teams and all levels of management
English is the principal language for this position. This position requires good written and verbal communication skills and the ability to communicate effectively in a diverse multicultural environment.
Proficiency in the use of MS Office; Excel, PowerPoint, and other technical software is required.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit. The employee is occasionally required to walk and use hand and eye coordination. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus. The employee must be able to travel over 50% of the time and drive a vehicle.
STATEMENT OF NON-INCLUSIVITY:
This job description is not to be construed as a complete listing of the duties and responsibilities that may be given to any employee. The duties and responsibilities outlined in this position may be added to or changed when deemed appropriate and necessary by the person who is managerial responsible for this position.