Your Career Begins at Timken
If you're ready for a challenging career that provides you with the ability to advance personally and professionally, look to Timken. Our associates make the world more productive by improving the efficiency and reliability of the machinery that keeps industry in motion.
The Sr. Spiral Bevel Gear Machinist position is a senior level gear cutting and grinding position. This position utilizes the operator's skills and knowledge to efficiently perform and maintain the manufacturing processes on spiral bevel CNC and manual cutting and grinding machines to produce precision aerospace components.
- Perform manufacturing processes including the setup and operation of spiral bevel CNC and manual cutting and grinding machines and other equipment with little or no supervision.
- Read/interpret machining program language required for machine operation at a high level.
- Sharpen blades and build and true gear cutters and removal stock.
- Perform blank check and roll gears for pattern position.
- Manually stock divide
- Run and manually dress grinding wheels.
- Use manual inspection equipment as required, e.g. height stands, micrometers, indicators, dial bores, verniers, etc.
- Work with aerospace materials such as aluminum, carburized steel, stainless steel, magnesium, titanium, and nickel alloys.
- Follow customer quality requirements, and read/interpret operation sheets and work instructions.
- Read/interpret reports from the CMM measuring equipment and understand the functionality of the machine.
- Collaborate with support groups i.e. engineering, and quality, to prevent or overcome production issues and work stoppages.
- Adhere to establishe policies and company procedures and standard work.
- Perform preventative maintenance tasks to maintain machinery performance and prevent machine downtime.
- Initiate and participate in process improvement initiatives utilizing lean manufacturing tools and techniques as approved by supervisor.
- Document and communicate manufacturing performance issues to maintain continuity between shifts and decrease machine downtime.
- Act as a role model, coach and train new associates to foster a team environment.
- Maintain work areas and equipment in a clean and orderly condition.
- Follow all safety policies, rules and regulations.
- Other duties as assigned by Leads, Supervisors and/or Managers.
- Ability to stand or sit for extended period of time.
- Fine motor skills with frequent hand and arm movement.
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds.
- Moderate twisting and bending.
- Moderate climbing on step stools or platforms.
Unusual Environmental Conditions:
- Loud machining environment; exposure to aerospace metals, lubricants and chemicals.
Required Personal Protective Equipment:
- Safety glasses/shields, appropriate manufacturing closed toed footwear, gloves, hearing protection may be required or other protective equipment as needed.
- US citizen or permanent resident
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
- Technical school graduate in machining (desired)
- Minimum of 3 years spiral bevel machining experience with a minimum of 7 years machining experience.
- Aerospace experience.
- Ability to work with tight tolerances.
- Strong industrial math skills, trigonometry required.
- Strong written and verbal skills.
- Good computer skills.
- Ability to read technical drawings, Gleason summaries, and tooth patterns.
- Ability to set, use or setup various measuring devices.
- Strong problem solving skills.
- Lean basic knowledge i.e. 5S, setup reduction, TPM.
- Ability to read & interpret machining program language.
- Wheel balancing knowledge and application.
All qualified applicants shall be treated equally according to their individual qualifications, abilities, experiences and other employment standards. There will be no discrimination due to gender or gender identity, race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, sexual orientation, veteran/military status or any other basis protected by applicable law.