Your Career Begins at Timken
If you're ready for a challenging career that provides you with the ability to advance personally and professionally, look to Timken. Our associates make the world more productive by improving the efficiency and reliability of the machinery that keeps industry in motion.
Purpose of Position
This role is responsible for leading tax planning work for a dynamic and growing U.S. multinational company. The candidate will work closely with the Vice President Tax on a pipeline of on-going tax savings projects and acquisition integration projects to achieve targeted tax synergies. The candidate must have significant technical and interpersonal skills coupled with judgment and decision-making abilities, as well as the ability to communicate complex tax concepts in ways that are meaningful and useful to non-tax people.
The successful candidate will have excellent project management skills and attention to detail. Strong communication and leadership skills are necessary along with the ability to deal with time pressure. This role will work closely with external tax advisors and must be able to lead internal teams. The role will have high visibility and the ability to make an impact on the Company's bottom line.
- Executes tax planning strategies: Work closely with the Vice President Tax and the global tax team to ensure coordination of the tax consequences of operations and business structuring. Involves detailed project management related to targeted tax reduction strategies to reduce the Company's effective tax rate, including liaising with external tax advisors and coordinating with internal and external legal and finance teams regarding restructuring activities.
- Leads the Company's tax integration efforts for recent acquisitions: Involves developing and working from the tax integration list to achieve targeted tax synergies while streamlining the Company's organizational structure. Also involves taking required steps to reduce tax exposures for the acquired structures. Will assess SPAs and set up procedures around indemnifications, etc. May be involved in purchase price allocation work and lead legal entity valuations as required. Requires hiring tax advisors and assessing feasibility of proposed strategies and leading these strategies through the execution phase.
- Leads the Company's legal entity rationalization efforts: Involves development of plans to reduce the number of legal entities in the Company's structure. Requires assessment and summarizing of tax implications and working with outside legal advisors to execute restructuring plans.
- Assists in the implementation of global tax planning strategies to minimize cash taxes: Assists in the identification of key risks coming from tax operations for compliance and financial reporting. Well-rounded global tax knowledge, including knowledge of new U.S. tax rules under U.S. Tax Reform will be needed, and ASC 740 knowledge would be a plus.
Required Technical/Functional Skills
- Strong technical and analytical skills, including tax research skills
- Balance of global tax technical knowledge with practical application of tax rules
- Excellent communication skills and ability to build relationship with the VP Tax is critical
- Ability to manage a budget and execute plans within targeted deadlines
- Propensity to lead teams and manage external tax advisors
- Great work ethic and integrity
- CPA preferred
- Ability to travel as necessary but may not be required
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting, Finance or similar required
- MBA or Master's degree in Accounting or Tax preferred
- 15 years' Corporate tax experience in industry and/or public accounting firm, including technical knowledge of and experience with U.S. multinational entities. Knowledge of tax planning strategies and acquisition integration experience preferred.
All qualified applicants shall be treated equally according to their individual qualifications, abilities, experiences and other employment standards. There will be no discrimination due to gender or gender identity, race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, sexual orientation, veteran/military status or any other basis protected by applicable law.