Your Career Begins at Timken
If you're ready for a challenging career that provides you with the ability to advance personally and professionally, look to Timken. Our associates make the world more productive by improving the efficiency and reliability of the machinery that keeps industry in motion.
Schulz Electric, a Timken Motor & Crane Company, has a current opening for an Engineering Manager based out of the New Haven, CT regional service center. The primary role of this position is to provide technical leadership and oversee all engineering activities at the Schulz regional service center (RSC) for overhaul, rewind, and manufacturer new Electric Motors/Generators and other electrical power transmission equipment. All personnel working in the RSC engineering department report directly to the Engineering Manager. The Engineering Manager is also involved with design and reverse engineering, as required, in cooperation with Timken Power Systems Chief Engineer - Electrical. Additionally this position provides technical evaluations to support customer quotation requests and works with all members of the site team to achieve promised on-time delivery commitments and financial objectives. Occasional travel required (<10%) to customer sites and periodic company training events.
- Evaluation, determination of failure mode and required repair scope of customer equipment.
- Direct and provide guidance to all direct reports within the RSC engineering and test departments.
- Review of customer technical requirements.
- Use established standards and procedures for overhaul, re-wind, and manufacturer new products to meet customer requirements within the QC and design standards set by the company, EASA, IEEE, and Nuc 10CFR50 Appendix B.
- Liaison to sales, supply chain, quality, and operations for technical support.
- Technical Oversight of winding, assembly, and final product testing to ensure quality standards and on-time delivery commitments are kept.
- Develop and/or approve specifications, changes or upgrades for reverse engineered equipment for motor aftermarket opportunities.
- Provide final reports as required per contract.
- Work as part of global Timken Power Systems' engineering team.
- Support Customer Service and Sales teams.
- Be a steward of the company's assets, brand, reputation and investments.
- Ensure that the highest ethical and commercial standards are maintained.
- Manage Timken Power Systems' Electrical Engineering resources to support 100% on time, on specification and on budget, standard operating procedures and strategy objectives.
Technical/ Functional Skills:
- Experience in design, manufacture, testing and applications of AC and DC electric motors, Motor-Generator (MG) Sets and generators and related controls primarily utilized in nuclear and fossil power generation facilities as well as industrial.
- Knowledge of fluid film, rolling element bearings, lubrication systems and vibration analysis.
- Familiarity with current industry standards (IEEE, NEMA, EASA, etc.).
- Demonstrated leadership and talent management skills.
- Excellent communication skills (verbal & written) and teamwork approach with corporate and site engineering.
- Strong systemic mindset and problem-solving skills.
- Strong analytical skills including the ability to analyze and interpret critical data.
- Skilled in all basic MS Office products and working knowledge of ERP systems (preferably Epicor).
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering is required (Electrical Engineering preferred).
- Master's degree in Engineering, Manufacturing Management or related field preferred.
- A minimum of 10 years engineering experience in AC/DC Electric Motors & Controls.
- A minimum of 3 years of experience in engineering project management.
All qualified applicants shall be treated equally according to their individual qualifications, abilities, experiences and other employment standards. There will be no discrimination due to gender or gender identity, race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, sexual orientation, veteran/military status or any other basis protected by applicable law.