Your Career Begins at Timken
If you're ready for a challenging career that provides you with the ability to advance personally and professionally, look to Timken. Our associates make the world more productive by improving the efficiency and reliability of the machinery that keeps industry in motion.
Position Summary: Timken Drives, a premier manufacturer of high performance chain and auger products is seeking a Controls Engineer to provide daily production support and improvement activities.
Primary responsibilities include leading and supporting domestic and global safety, productivity and continuous improvement initiatives through process and controls design improvements in a diverse manufacturing environment. The manufacturing environment contains a wide breath of processes including fabrication, heat treatment and complex assembly processes. The Controls Engineer will directly support and troubleshoot current equipment and will design and install new electrical controls. The successful candidate must be able to effectively communicate at all levels, be highly motivated, and engage directly with the manufacturing floor to ensure alignment and effective execution of safety and productivity initiatives.
Essential Job Duties:
- Lead cross-functional teams to ensure successful execution of electrical and controls projects while effectively balancing internal and external resources, timeline and budget adherence.
- Programming, troubleshooting and designing PLC controls, HMI and CNC drive systems.
- Analyze project requirements and perform technical calculations supporting design including electrical requirements, robotics, safety standards and motor controls.
- Design electrical schematics using electrical CAD software as needed.
- Lead justifying (ROI), designing, developing, implementing and documenting of controls improvement and automation projects.
- Ensure all relevant safety objectives and legal requirements are observed for all work completed including NFPA, OSHA standards, and others as required when designing or retrofitting equipment and controls.
- Work directly with fellow coworkers and outside vendors to ensure alignment and effective execution of project initiatives.
- Engage in the key principles of the high performance/learning-based culture: performance management, effective leadership, teamwork and collaboration, personal development, and global mindset. Direct work of electricians and subcontractors as assigned.
- Assist in the implementation and promotion of LEAN Manufacturing principles and culture throughout the department.
- Travel to vendors for evaluation and equipment runoff approval.
- Will be required to perform other duties as requested, directed or assigned.
- Will be required to cross-train to learn equipment and technologies as required.
- Experience in converting or retrofitting mechanical controls to electric systems using PLC, HMI and Drive systems.
- Ability to interact effectively with employees, including listening to employee's issues, speaking to all employees with respect, and being approachable.
- Demonstrated knowledge of controls and electrical systems including design, motion control and network communication systems.
- Strong fundamental knowledge of control and electrical system design including specifications of sensor, power, and inspection.
- Experience in controls documentation and HMI design for ease of use in equipment inspection and trouble shooting.
- Experience in panel building, vision, and Manufacturing Execution Systems (ie Factory Talk, Wonderware, etc.)
- Experience in capital projects through justification, design, build, implementation and verification is preferred.
- Preferred experience in leading electrical and controls improvements.
- Critical thinker with exceptional problem-solving skills.
- Flexible in working schedule and communication methods to support global manufacturing initiatives.
- Experience in managing through ambiguity and determining best course of action.
- Ability to effectively handle multi-tasking of support activities while continuing to drive multiple concurrent projects.
- Proficient in MS Office, AB-Rockwell Automation and electrical SolidWorks.
Education and/or Experience:
- BS in Electrical engineering or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Minimum of 3 years of controls engineering and PLC programming experience in manufacturing environment.
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and complete necessary production forms. Ability to speak effectively with fellow employees and/or customers.
Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference, and fundamentals of plane and solid geometry and trigonometry. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, schedule, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several variables; problem solving ability.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand, sit, use hands/arms. The employee is regularly required to talk, hear at conversational level, and smell. The employee is occasionally required to walk, climb, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must regularly lift/move up to 10 pounds, frequently lift/move up to 25 pounds, and occasionally lift/move up to 50 pounds. Moving/lifting greater than 50 pounds requires assistance from another employee or a lifting device/hoist. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to moving mechanical parts. The employee is frequently exposed to fumes or airborne particles, outside weather conditions, and vibration. The employee is occasionally exposed to extreme heat and risk of electrical shock. The noise level in the work environment is usually loud.
Required Personal Protective Equipment
Employee is required to wear proper safety eyewear, hearing protection, and steel-toed shoes at all times while on the plant floor.
The Timken Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All associates and applicants shall be treated equally according to their individual qualifications, abilities, experiences and other employment standards. There will be no discrimination due to gender or gender identity, race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, sexual orientation, veteran/military status or any other basis protected by applicable law. For additional information please visit our website Timken Careers
All qualified applicants shall be treated equally according to their individual qualifications, abilities, experiences and other employment standards. There will be no discrimination due to gender or gender identity, race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, sexual orientation, veteran/military status or any other basis protected by applicable law.