The Operations Manager provides leadership to leading staff to ensure customer requirements are achieved while meeting our Penske goals and objectives.
Lead teams in a dynamic operational environment, to consistently exceed established goals, demonstrate a commitment to customers and a dedication to excellence and innovation. Develop forward looking plans and turn those plans into successful execution. Effectively manage resources to achieve operational excellence and meet or exceed the site financial operating plan. Implement and maintain an incident free safety culture at the operation.
Shift: 1st shift Monday - Friday
Additonal hours, days, shifts may be required in order to meet the business need.
• Establish and sustain that all supervisors and associates are trained and competent and understand how their work relates to the customers' business objectives
• Establish and sustain that we recruit, hire, train, develop and retain quality associates.
• Establish and sustain effective, two-way communication that informs and motivates as well as recognizes excellence among team members
• Establish and sustain strong and effective relationships with associates, the customer, and supporting departments
• Meet or exceed all customer key performance metrics and objectives
• Interact daily with local customer to ensure existing and emerging customer needs are understood
• Lead team to identify operational improvements in areas such as route optimization, carrier selection, backhauls, and trailer loading
• Collaborate with other Penske sites to share best practices, leverage resources/assets, etc.
• Develop and execute annual financial and operating plan
• Lead the operation with integrity to meet or exceed the Business Plan targets
• Identify issues with the operating metrics and P&L and make required adjustments in a timely manner
• Ensure customer billings and associate payroll are prepared timely and accurately, the payables and intercompany charges are valid and correct, and all other activities are accurately reflected in the P&L.
• Lead a culture of safety through personal example
• Develop, execute, and assess continuous improvement plan to reduce accident and injury frequency
• Ensure each associate understands their individual role and responsibilities, as well as the group's role and responsibilities required to achieve and maintain a safe work place
• Proactively identify and correct unsafe conditions, work processes, and behaviors
• Ensure compliance with all applicable regulatory agencies, company policies and procedures
• Coach through safety observations
• Identify opportunities for continuous improvement and challenge the status quo
• Execute a process to track and record value delivered to the customer
• Identify and seize profitable business opportunities for the customer and Penske
• Utilize available metrics to monitor and maximize customer efficiencies and achieve cost savings.
• Lead effort to improve fleet/equipment utilization, maintenance availability and fuel efficiency
• Contribute to equipment specification at time of start-up and renewal
• Build a strong working relationship with local PTL district and other equipment vendors
• Other projects and tasks as assigned by supervisor
-• 4 - 6 years related functional experience.
-• 3 years managerial or supervisory experience with DOT regulated positions required
-• High School degree or equivalent required
-• Bachelor's Degree in Business or Supply Chain Management preferred
-• Proficiency with computers including Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint required
-• Must have ability to connect and build rapport and relationships with associates and external customers at all levels
-• Must have ability to work efficiently with time management and organizational skills with follow-up and follow through
-• Ability to manage through a problem and think and make decisions independently
-• Demonstrated ability to develop and execute annual financial operating plan
-• Ability to drive process improvement and lead change
-• Must demonstrate ownership & responsibility for running the operation with a sense of urgency
-• Strong written/oral communication including the ability to present in front of others, and demonstrate active listening skills are required
• Regular, predictable, full attendance is an essential function of the job
• Willingness to travel as necessary, work the required schedule, work at the specific location required, complete Penske employment application, submit to a background investigation (to include past employment, education, and criminal history) and drug screening required.
-- The physical and mental demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an associate to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
-- The associate will be required to: read; communicate verbally and/or in written form; remember and analyze certain information; and remember and understand certain instructions or guidelines.
-- While performing the duties of this job, the associate may be required to stand, walk, and sit. The associate is frequently required to use hands to touch, handle, and feel, and to reach with hands and arms. The associate must be able to occasionally lift and/or move up to 25lbs/12kg.
-- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
Penske is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
About Penske Logistics
Penske Logistics is a wholly owned subsidiary of Penske Truck Leasing. With operations in North America, South America, Europe and Asia, Penske Logistics provides supply chain management and logistics services to leading companies around the world. Penske Logistics delivers value through its design, planning and execution in transportation, warehousing and freight management. Visit www.PenskeLogistics.com to learn more.