Your career begins at Cone Drive Operations, a Timken company! Cone Drive is located in beautiful Traverse City, Michigan and boasts nearly 100 years of success in the gearing industry. If you're ready for a challenging career that provides you with the ability to advance personally and professionally, look to Cone Drive. Our associates make the world more productive by improving the efficiency and reliability of the machinery that keeps industry in motion.
The Engineering Designer prepares engineering designs and detailed drawings for products and/or customer specific product applications. Checks own drawing work and/or that of other designers as required to insure adherence to applicable design standards and procedures. Supports BOM generation and drawing release process.
- Designs, details and checks engineering drawings for standard products including assembly drawings, castings, weldments, components and tooling or fixtures as assigned. Ensures accuracy of work and adheres to project due dates as communicated by the design staff leader or project manager.
- Interprets customer design requirements obtained from customer drawings, design input documentation or from input obtained from Product Engineers, Application Engineers, Sales Representatives or directly from the customer.
- Reviews designs for compliance with customer requirements, manufacturability and ease of assembly. Keeps current with in-house manufacturing processes and capabilities.
- Adheres to approved standards, procedures and processes including specifications, drawing standards, change management (ECN) process, drawing release procedures to maintain design and design information integrity.
- Maintains a thorough knowledge of the standard product lines.
- Works with Application Engineers and/or Product Engineers to ensure that designs meet functional, quality and cost targets. Participates in design reviews, design and process FMEAs and project reviews as required.
- Works with sales, purchasing, manufacturing, vendors and customers in a technical consultation/problem solving capacity related to product design.
- Performs basic product structure and bill of material creation duties as required.
- Reviews completed bills of material for compliance to customer requirements as required.
- Supports special design or design process improvement projects as requested.
- Minimum HS diploma or equivalent (prefer 2 or 4yr ME/Engineering Design) with a minimum of three years design experience preferred
- Fluent in 2D & 3D CAD Design; Solid Edge (preferred) or Solid Works
- Excellent working knowledge of English; able to communicate effectively on technical matters
- Experience with typical engineering tools and practices including Design FMEA, basic component stress calculations and standard parts selection and design compatibility (bearings, seals, materials, etc).
- Familiar with Microsoft Office Products including MS Excel, MS Word & MS PowerPoint
- Knowledge of Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing (GD&T)
- Knowledge of machining basics and capabilities.
- Preferred; Knowledge of metal fabrication processes.
- Preferred; Knowledge of gear products including government and industry standards for product ratings and product compliance requirements, general product service issues, failure modes, general product application knowledge
- Preferred; Gear and Gearbox Design Experience; Rotary machinery design knowledge
- Preferred; The ability to perform routine maintenance of gearboxes, motors or mechanical equipment.
All qualified applicants shall be treated equally according to their individual qualifications, abilities, experiences and other employment standards. There will be no discrimination due to gender or gender identity, race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, sexual orientation, veteran/military status or any other basis protected by applicable law.