Penske Logistics provides dedicated contract carriage services through its expansive network in North America with over 10,500 safe, professional drivers, and a modern truck fleet integrated with advanced safety systems, transportation management, and real-time freight tracking systems. Truck drivers from Penske Logistics handle deliveries for a variety of market-leading companies in industries including: automotive, food, grocery and beverage, manufacturing, quick-service restaurants, and convenience store chains among them. Penske Logistics is a Penske Transportation Solutions company with operations in North America, South America, Europe, and Asia. Penske Logistics provides supply chain management and logistics services to leading companies around the world. Penske Logistics delivers value through its design, planning, and execution in transportation, warehousing, and freight management. To learn more visit: www.penskelogistics.com.
Penske Logistics is looking for an HR Director to support approximately 3500 associates and three Vice Presidents of operations. This position is a key member of the HR leadership team and business partner to the field leadership team. The HR Director has responsibility for the planning and execution of the business's human capital strategy including all aspects of organizational effectiveness, relationship management, associate and labor relations, and diversity and inclusion. This position can be based in Chicago, Detroit, or Cleveland markets.
- Strategic HR: Provide senior leadership with analysis and human capital strategy designed to drive business results. Acts as HR's primary contact with the field leadership for HR matters within multiple areas.
- Analytics: Regularly analyze data from a human capital management perspective. Provide management with relevant and meaningful HR metrics and analytics, using proprietary and commercially available tools to enable operations to fully leverage human capital to drive business outcomes. Uses analytics to recommend changes for the business that drives continuous improvement.
- People Management: Hire, coach, develop, and direct Area HR Managers in a matrixed reporting relationship with their Vice President of Operations.
- Change Management: Drive organizational change according to the business's human capital management strategy. Ensure execution of that strategy through the management teams. Remove barriers to HR Managers' focus, goals, and objectives, and help Area HR Managers to prioritize.
- Associate Engagement: Manage survey activities for the business, ensuring that Area HR Managers are driving results at the local level. Take periodic pulse checks when visiting locations.
- Associate Development and Talent Management: Lead management staff development, leveraging internal and external training tools, including mentorship for high potential managers. Lead efforts around succession planning and development with a goal to building our bench, ensure that leaders are accurately represented in succession plans and that managers are using our succession planning and development planning tools effectively.
- Staffing: Work closely with the staffing team and is the point of escalation for Field HR with respect to staffing issues. Ensure that diverse pipelines exist for managerial positions.
- Performance Management: Drive performance management philosophy through the business, ensuring execution and consistency.
- Associate Relations: Consult with Area HR Managers on associate relations issues, escalating to VP of HR and/or Legal when necessary. Ensure consistency in the interpretation and application of HR policies across the business. Looks for patterns of issues and elevate issues to Corporate as necessary for resolution.
- Labor Relations: Ensure that Area HR Managers are administering collective bargaining agreements effectively and training their managers to do the same. Oversee Area HR Managers' union risk assessments at locations and union avoidance training. Work with Directors of Labor Relations to develop union avoidance/union management strategy.
- Diversity: Drive Company's Diversity and Inclusion strategy throughout the business. Promote Diversity and Inclusion in all areas of practice. Watch for EEO claim trending and challenges HR Managers and Operations Managers in diversity sourcing, hiring, and promotions.
- New Business: Manage new business due diligence and work with the Area HR team to ensure start-ups are adequately staffed and ready for business by the go-live date.
- Compensation: Partner with the Compensation department to conduct wage surveys as needed. Provide compensation guidance and recommendations to Area HR Managers and Field Operations Managers.
- Exceptional communication and influencing skills - strong EQ
- 10 years of Human Resources experience in a large, decentralized, unionized environment, or strong management background with an exceptional track record in getting things done through others, and a thorough understanding of the business
- Demonstrated ability to drive results, through influence and effective change management
- Strong knowledge of HR functions: associate relations, labor relations, staffing, compensation, benefits, leadership development, compliance
- Ability to work well independently and as a team member, is self-driven with a sense of urgency
- Strong analytical skills and leadership skills
- Ability to travel 60%
- Bachelor's degree required, Master's Degree preferred
- SPHR or SHRM-SCP preferred
- Regular, predictable, full attendance is an essential function of the job
- Willingness to travel as necessary, work the required schedule, work at the specific location required, complete Penske employment application, submit to a background investigation (to include past employment, education, and criminal history), and drug screening are required.
-The physical and mental demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an associate to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
-The associate will be required to: read; communicate verbally and/or in written form; remember and analyze certain information; and remember and understand certain instructions or guidelines.
-While performing the duties of this job, the associate may be required to stand, walk, and sit. The associate is frequently required to use hands to touch, handle, and feel, and to reach with hands and arms. The associate must be able to occasionally lift and/or move up to 25lbs/12kg.
-Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
Penske is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Penske Logistics is a wholly owned subsidiary of Penske Truck Leasing. With operations in North America, South America, Europe and Asia, Penske Logistics provides supply chain management and logistics services to leading companies around the world. Penske Logistics delivers value through its design, planning and execution in transportation, warehousing and freight management. Visit www.PenskeLogistics.com to learn more.