Cavalier Logistics was established in 1984 as a private, veteran-owned small business. We are a premier provider of global transportation, warehousing and logistics services with headquarters in Virginia, multiple offices throughout the United States and an international office in London.
Cavalier is seeking a full-time Import Agent to join our import team in the Carson, CA location, near Los Angeles. The successful Import Agent is responsible for processing documentation required by US Customs and Border Protection for entry of goods into the US on behalf of importers and providing excellent customer service through clear communication from origin to destination. Customs entry training will be provided to the candidate on the job.
Cavalier is an equal opportunity employer offering a competitive salary and full benefits package including health, dental and vision insurance, 401(k), life insurance and an Employee Assistance Program.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Must have knowledge of domestic, LTL, FTL
- LCL/FCL ocean import operations/ Refrigerated container
- Air import operation
- Train as customs entry writer on the job (if candidate is not yet skilled at such work)
- Pays terminal charges and confirms AMS information and customs clearance status
- Schedules and monitors airport transfers and request delivery to the final consignee
- Knowledge on In-Bond move/ transaction
- Daily operations on Import shipments – Freight Forwarder/Freight Forwarding/NVOCC
- Check cargo availability and arrange shipments delivery with truckers and pick ups for empty equipment
- Process ocean import documents, make sure ISF is filed on time and correctly
- Arrange custom clearance with customs broker
- Work with purchasing team on direct containers, update shipment information on timely manner by emails and phone calls
- Communicate with factories, agents overseas on a daily basis to assist with bookings, space availability
- Tracking Vessel arrivals, First Free Day, and Last Free Day
- Securing appointments from terminal websites
- Identifying/updating all Terminal receiving hours, closures, changes in schedule
- Rescheduling appointments that drop on 2nd shift with information passed on from planning
- Clearing holds/fees that inhibit container flow, Demurrage, pier pass
- Communicating all pertinent information to planning team.
- Perform audit review on all assigned brokerage files and payments to customs
- Maintain and keep current all customs compliance documentation
- Review and monitor all Customs rejections, requests for information for clients and any other government agency, and other correspondence
- Adhere to all domestic and international shipping regulations
- Mandatory daily correspondence with overseas and domestic agents, as well as airlines, steamship lines, and co-loaders
- Must be able to pass a background check
- Must be detail oriented, thorough and accurate and have the ability to efficiently solve problems
- Solid knowledge of domestic and international geography including countries, major cities and ocean ports along with basic knowledge of U.S. Regulatory Laws
- Efficient in MS Office (Excel, Word, Outlook)
- Work well in team atmosphere and be flexible
- Ability to communicate and collaborate across multiple departments
- Ability to effectively solve issues and quickly address concerns
- Ability to work and respond quickly under pressure
- Work efficiently while dealing with multiple priorities and deadlines
- Maintain courteous, prompt and efficient customer relations
- Basic knowledge of INCO terms, the Harmonized Tariff Schedule, Customs regulations and other government agency requirements
- Minimum high school diploma or GED
- 2-years of experience required
Benefits & Compensation:
- Competitive Compensation – Depends on Experience
- Health Insurance
- Dental & Vision Insurance
- Life Insurance
- Employee Assistance Program
If you enjoy a fast-paced environment, are a self-starter, have great organizational skills and are a team player - apply for this great position today! We are an equal employment opportunity employer.
Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status.