Maintenance Shop Manager
Location: Chicago Heights, IL, US, 60411
Company: XPO Logistics
Logistics done differently.
Transport Topics ranked XPO Logistics the #1 logistics company in North America, and we are on Forbes’ list as one of America’s best employers. As the Shop Manager, you will be responsible for hiring, training and supervising qualified employees to ensure company-owned equipment remains in top running condition. You’ll be monitoring service quality that will provide our drivers with safe and reliable equipment, helping them to deliver superior service to our customers. If you’re looking for an exciting opportunity with a rapidly growing global company that’s clearly going places, join us at XPO.
Pay, benefits and more.
We are eager to attract the best, so we offer competitive compensation and a generous benefits package, including full health insurance (medical, dental and vision), 401(k), life insurance, disability and the opportunity to participate in a company incentive plan.
What you’ll do on a typical day:
- Manage maintenance team employees and contingent workers, including hiring, mentoring, scheduling, training/development, as well as offering promotion, discipline and termination recommendations
- Support the Manager of Fleet Maintenance (MFM) in overseeing equipment maintenance and out-of-service equipment at outlying Service Centers supported by the shop
- Facilitate the Job Selection/Shift Bid (JSP) process for shop employees
- Oversee routine maintenance functions to ensure equipment proficiency and the highest productivity levels; ensure all work orders, including commercial work orders, are closed accurately and in a timely manner
- Ensure shop cycle counts and inventory levels are handled correctly, including movement and non-movement of inventory within assigned thresholds
- Review and analyze trends in parts utilization, gains, shortages, usage, uptime and non-movement, in a way that ensures the highest efficiency and productivity of the shop
- Monitor shop for safety, service, quality, efficiency, financial controls and maintenance compliance
- Ensure company procedures, DOT policies and other required standard work instructions are followed by all shop employees
What you need to succeed at XPO:
At a minimum, you’ll need:
- 5 years of experience in fleet maintenance
- A valid driver's license
It’d be great if you also have:
- Associate degree
- Current ASE certifications
- Current CDL
- Less-than-Truckload (LTL) experience
- Availability to work a variety of shifts, including days, evenings, nights and weekends
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, with the ability to effectively organize and present information; ability to lead and motivate others
- Excellent time management skills
This job requires the ability to:
- Lift up to 50 lbs. frequently and greater than 75 lbs. occasionally
- Safely walk and stand for extended periods of time on a loading dock that is not climate-controlled and may be slippery
- Work outdoors in inclement weather
- Reach (including above your head), bend, climb, push, pull, twist, squat and kneel
Be part of something big.
XPO is a leading provider of cutting-edge supply chain solutions to the most successful companies in the world. We help our customers manage their goods most efficiently using our technology and services. Our greatest strength is our global team – energetic, innovative people of all experience levels and talents who make XPO a great place to work.
We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, disability, veteran or other protected status.
XPO adheres to CDC, OSHA and state and local requirements regarding COVID safety. All employees and visitors are expected to comply with XPO policies which are in place to safeguard our employees and customers.
All applicants who receive a conditional offer of employment may be required to take and pass a pre-employment drug test.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified. All employees may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
Nearest Major Market: Chicago
Job Segment: Supply Chain Manager, Manager, Supply, Logistics, Supply Chain, Operations, Management