Pilot Freight Services is searching for a dynamic full-time Last Mile Home Delivery Operations Manager for an embedded location in the Gresham, OR area. We have a great opportunity for a behind-the-scenes logistics position. The Last Mile Manager is embedded in the operation and dedicated to being the best by standing at the line of action and taking charge of delivery operations from dock to customer from a busy regional distribution center, and making sure that carrier teams on the front line are sharp and committed to not only process execution, but outstanding customer service. You will oversee independent carriers to fine tune processes, support the P&L expectations and decisions, and ensure that customers get the kind of service you would demand for yourself. This operation calls for focused attention to detail, the ability to communicate clearly, set expectations, and lead with a resolve to be the best. Our variety of retail clients are iconic furniture, bedding, fitness, appliance, and electronics brands who expect a superior home delivery experience for their customers.
The Last Mile Operations Manager will report directly to the Regional Director, but will work closely with several other team members throughout all stages of the dedicated delivery service. He/she will be responsible for the execution of the location delivery teams including but not limited to; route monitoring, contractor management, and customer service to name but a few. The LM Operations Manager is responsible for daily planning, organizing, controlling and managing the over-all operations of delivery and return to inventory orders.
The LM Operations Manager must excel in a HIGH VOLUME HOME DELIVERY OPERATION. This person must be one who can execute to a prescribed process in the most efficient manner. They must be able to handle a fast paced, highly dynamic, and parameter driven work place environment that at times will require quick thinking to resolve emergent situations.
This is what you would have done had you been with us last month:
- Provided the necessary communication and support between customers, suppliers and independent contractors regarding operations activity to ensure a smooth delivery and expected level of service.
- Managed the planning and coordination in executing order assembly and dispatch of product.
- Provided the efficient utilization of delivery team capacity ensuring quality, budgetary targets and environmental objectives were met.
- Worked with the Regional Director to achieve financial objectives by supporting the adherence and monthly reviews of an annual budget.
- Managed a P&L by operating the business within budgeted guidelines through scheduling expenditures and analyzing any variances to the plan.
- Managed contractual agreements and key performance indicators (KPI) set forth by the client.
- Used personal judgment and initiative to develop effective and constructive solutions to challenges and obstacles in activities and procedures.
- Managed the resolution of complex escalations pertaining to Independent Contractors and customer service; reported on issues as needed to ensure complaints were addressed, and resolved to client/customer satisfaction.
- Utilized site operating systems to ensure daily execution of planned activities.
- Managed the recruitment and training of independent contractor carriers and their employee team members, as well as monitoring assigned staff performance and progress.
- Participated in weekly organizational meetings to report and evaluate the quality of service received, and providing solutions for continuous improvement.
- Ensured driver safety and compliance while loading in a safe manner and facility requirements are being met.
- Performed other dynamic duties as required.
These are the tools you would have brought with you:
- Bachelor's Degree in related field preferred but not required; Completion of a college program in logistics management, business administration discipline related to facility operation and maintenance, or an equivalent combination of technical training and on the job experience in transportation, especially 3PL last mile operations.
- 5+ years supply chain experience in transportation, distribution and/or freight management; 2-4 years in a supervisory/management role; experience in a large distribution center environment strongly preferred
- Ability to work well in a fast-paced and fluid environment
- Ability to interact effectively at multiple levels in support of customer relationships (vendors, warehousing, sales and upper-management)
- Strong analytical skills, especially as it pertains to proactively managing and coordinating with others in order to meet our customer's needs
- Excellent communication and presentation skills and high integrity in reporting.
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook
- Experienced in the use of operating and routing software (Dispatch Track experience a plus)
- Ability to work flexible hours, days of the week including holidays when required, in support of operational commitments.
- Ability to lift a minimum of 50 lbs.
- Ability to stand/walk for long periods of time and complete repetitive tasks when necessary.
An Equal Opportunity Employer
It is the policy of Pilot Air Freight to consider all applications for any position without regard to a person's race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation or genetics.
Innovative: Consistently introduces new ideas and demonstrates original thinking
Detail Oriented: Capable of carrying out a given task with all details necessary to get the task done well
Functional Expert: Considered a thought leader on a subject
Dedicated: Devoted to a task or purpose with loyalty or integrity
Growth Opportunities: Inspired to perform well by the chance to take on more responsibility
Goal Completion: Inspired to perform well by the completion of tasks
Self-Starter: Inspired to perform without outside help
Flexibility: Inspired to perform well when granted the ability to set your own schedule and goals
Ability to Make an Impact: Inspired to perform well by the ability to contribute to the success of a project or the organization
Associates or better in Logistics /Supply Chain Management or related field.
Licenses & Certifications
COMP- Results Driven Advanced
Ability to Work Under Pressure Intermediate
Proficiency in written & verbal communication Advanced
MS Office Suite Advanced
EXCEL INTERMEDIATE Intermediate
Customer service experience Advanced
AS400 Some Knowledge
3-5 years: Transportation/Logisitics Management
3-5 years: Last Mile/Home Delivery Management