Founded in 1989, Thorlabs seeks to accelerate the forward movement of scientific discovery and advancement! As a vertically integrated manufacturer of photonics components, instruments, and systems, our vast product portfolio includes over 20,000 items, ranging from optics and optomechanical positioning components to imaging systems, many of which are customer inspired.
Photonics is the foremost technology driving innovation in science and engineering. As the number of technological innovations has grown, Thorlabs has extended its core competencies in an effort to play an ever increasing role serving the Photonics Industry at the research end, as well as the industrial, life science, medical, and defense segments.
Headquartered in Newton, NJ, Thorlabs has grown to over Approximately 2,300 employees with manufacturing and sales offices in the United States, United Kingdom, Germany, France, Sweden, Japan, China, and Brazil. As light-based technologies push into new markets, Thorlabs plans to enter early with the products and services required to ensure the ultimate success of our customers.
The position effectively assures vendor & manufacturing compliance to Thorlabs ISO9001 quality standards protecting customers. The position performs visual and dimensional inspection of precision parts and makes quick, accurate pass/fail decisions on many types of fiber optic parts and components. Document all items that are noncompliant with Thorlabs or manufactures standards.
Essential Job Functions include the following, but are not limited to:
- Inspect incoming and outgoing parts and components.
- Identify mechanical non-conformances through specified inspection methods.
- Perform extremely detailed visual inspections on intricate and delicate parts occasionally performed under magnification.
- Perform inspections efficiently, with attention to detail.
- Report measurement metrics to keep track of efficiency and quality.
- Low friction interface to peers/vendors/others in interaction with regards to inspection.
- Measure dimensions with calipers and precision pins to compare them to manufacturing drawings.
- Constantly striving to continuously improve the process within the Thorlabs improvement systems.
- Inspectors may occasionally be called upon to complete Non Conformance Reports.
- Perform some inspection through the use of vision based systems.
- 2 years of experience in a similar position preferred
- High School Diploma or equivalent or equivalent work experience
Specialized Knowledge and Skills:
- Ability to learn, understand, and effectively apply sampling plans.
- Skilled in the usage of hand held measuring tools and devices including but not limited to calipers and micrometers.
- Good verbal and written communication skills to operate in both individual and team environments.
- Capable of reading mechanical drawings and interpret dimensional tolerances.
- Adaptable to process and procedure changes.
- Capacity to convert from imperial to metric measurements.
- Ability to meet department standards for productivity and quality.
- Computer literacy using MS Office, Outlook.
- Must have the ability to cross train on all areas of the department, including but not limited to visual and dimensional inspection, data entry, and mechanical assembly.
- High attention to detail.
Thorlabs values its diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status. Job descriptions are not intended as and do not create employment contracts. The organization maintains its status as an at-will employer. Employees can be terminated for any reason not prohibited by law.