Scope: Directs the daily operations of the department. Maintain high levels of accuracy in day-to-day operations; lead and develop the transportation team and provide best in class service to our Customers.
Task Complexity: Works on issues where analysis of situation or data requires review of relevant factors.
Oversight: Provides direct supervision to exempt employees and/or skilled non-exempt employees. Frequently interacts with functional peer groups.
Duties, Tasks, and Responsibilities:
- Ensure on-time and accurate transportation planning for all outbound and inbound freight movements within area of responsibility
- Develop and sustain carrier relationships
- Provide daily management and leadership of transportation operations
- Directly supervise the operations team for area of responsibility, including personnel issues, performance management, and team development.
- Evaluate and implement continuous improvement on freight service and freight cost
- Provide transportation SME expertise to cross functional groups
- Become the key point of contact for SAP-TM responsibilities
- Coordinate with production planning, sales, customer service and terminals to achieve on-time service results
- A minimum of 2 years Transportation experience focusing on carrier sourcing or operations
- Industry experience preferred: Automotive, Retail, Carrier, or 3PL.
- Experience in LTL, TL, and Intermodal carriers desired
- Proficient in MS-Office and SAP
- Hazardous materials certification desired
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to problem solve and identify trends
- High degree of integrity
- Knowledge of transportation laws, freight tariffs, and distribution methods
- Self-motivated. Works well under pressure and a sense of urgency
- Must be able to thrive in a fast-paced environment
- Bachelor's degree in Transportation, Logistics, or Supply Chain or equivalent qualified experience