The Import Manager directs and manages the activities of the import department within a Branch, ensuring all import activities; both transportation and CHB related are in compliance with regulatory requirements.
Responsibilities Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Establish, oversee and continuously improve the branch import process flows in conformance with applicable rules, procedures and company policy.
- Develop internal SOP's and maintain KPI's for the efficient management of inbound freight including timely recover and hand over to brokers.
- Work with the sales department to develop customer-specific import handling procedures for all customers but specifically with the on boarding of new customers.
- Ensure accurate documentation is created and data is transmitted to appropriate governmental agencies for all import activities. Provide timely responses to customs, customer and internal requests /notices, regarding classification, duty rates, documentation requirements, or other import regulations. Represents customers to CBP as needed.
- Maintain current information and ensures compliance with CBP regulations and other government agency regulations. Ensure such knowledge is factored into the departmental processes and employees are trained in import compliance and regulatory requirements and changes.
- Organize, update and disseminate all client data including rate agreements, Harmonized Tariff Schedule (HTS) classification, POA, IRS, Customs Bond data, etc. to all required BPM for update in proprietary systems (YUNAS).
- With input from Asst. Branch Manager, Imports/ Branch Manager, review and enhance customer account profitability and timeliness and accuracy of all billings.
- Arrange for transportation, warehousing or distribution of imported products based on transit times and optimum profit opportunity. Negotiate contracts/rates with delivery agents.
- Monthly reporting to management
- Training Staff-Onboarding new employees
- Entry Audits
- A/R collections- Support as needed
CUSTOMS BROKERAGE RESPONSIBILITIES:
In some locations the Import Manager manages the customs brokerage activities and functions as the broker of record for all custom brokerage functions and is:
- R esponsible to US Customs as the Licensed Broker for Yusen Logistics:
- Interface with government agencies and maintains positive relationships.
- Maintain customer bond and power of attorney files.
- Perform post entry functions - including applying for tariff concessions , refunds, duty drawbacks, credits, resolving all issues involving customs and other government agency
- Responsible to manage the audit program in the Branch and ensure compliance is continually maintained:
- Conduct audits and assess import compliance on every file where CHB services are provided
- Ensures JSOX compliance
Responsible for supervising Import Supervisors. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems .
Qualifications Education and Experience:
- Associates degree is required. College Degree is preferred.
- A minimum of five years of experience in handling Imports is required. Included in this experience is:
- Three or more years of supervisory experience.
An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
Customs Broker License requirements:
NOTE: A Customs Broker's license is required in small and medium sized branches where the Import Manager is directly responsible for CHB functions. A broker's license is preferred but not required in the larger branches where the Import Manager is indirectly responsible for the CHB functions A N D a licensed broker is employed and has direct responsibility for CHB functions.
A Customs Broker's License will be required for the Boston Branch.
Essential Job Functions
- Must possess excellent customer service skills with the ability to grasp extensive knowledge while dealing with a variety of people.
- Must have strong organizational and time management skills.
- Management: The ability to organize and manage multiple priorities.
- Ability to manage own profit center and report on revenue generation, profit and loss.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature of work being performed. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required.
Yusen offers a generous Employee Benefits Package including:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision beginning the 1 st of the month following start date
- 401k with a company match
- Flexible Spending Accounts, Life and Accidental Death & Dismemberment Insurance, Short & Long Term Disability, Tuition Assistance Program, Commuter Benefits, vacation , and much more.
Any and all benefits offered are subject to the eligibility requirements, terms, and provisions set forth in the respective policies and plan documents, which you may request from Human Resources.
About Yusen Logistics (Americas )
Yusen Logistics is working to become the world's preferred supply chain logistics company. Our complete offer is designed to forge better connections between businesses, customers and communities - through innovative supply chain management, freight forwarding, warehousing and distribution services. As a company we're dedicated to a culture of continuous improvement, ensuring everyone who works with us is committed, connected and creative in making us the world's preferred choice.
Yusen Logistics (Americas) Inc. values each individual employee and is committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce by providing equal employment opportunities for all applicants without regard to race, religion, color, sex, national origin, citizenship status, uniform service member status, age, disability, sexual and gender orientation, genetic information, or any other protected status in accordance with all applicable federal, state and local laws.