What You'll Do
Directly reports to the Automated Engineering Maintenance Manger to lead and support the daily maintenance functions of the automated warehouse. The Assistant Manager, Automated Engineering Maintenance will lead the site's shift maintenance resources to effectively execute the engineering maintenance objectives in an automated, refrigerated warehouse, and support and maintain both People and Food Safety throughout the facility. Coordinate automation maintenance objectives with Operations to ensure that resources are effectively improving asset availability and throughput. Ensure responsive and proactive maintenance support across all shifts and to all internal customers by implementing sound work management processes and build operational support through furthering cultural maturity of Americold Operating System.
• Provide excellent and engaging leadership for the shift maintenance leaders and shift maintenance associates in a large, automated warehouse through effective verbal and written communications and by setting the example for senior maintenance leadership behaviors and performance.
• Ensure execution and provide leadership and supervision for Maintenance Excellence, Energy Excellence, and Refrigeration Excellence, ensuring the duties of self and others meet all safety policies and regulations daily.
• Serve as a back up to the Automated Engineering Maintenance Manager when he/she is not available. Will need to be able to provide maintenance leadership guidance to the site General Manager and site maintenance and reliability resources.
• Actively engage in the planning of weekly and monthly maintenance Scheduled Work. With a primary focus on shift leaders and technicians, lead and manage execution of the shift work plans to reduce Unplanned Work and through Preventative Maintenance and training ensure the overall availability of the mechatronics systems are at target levels.
• Ensure the execution of set energy plans that address energy consumption, defined rate goals, and conservation plans.
• Support the design, implementation, and improvement of asset maintenance plans based on failure modes, mean time between failures (MTBF), data analysis, throughput, condition monitoring, and statistics to improve processes to reduce and/or eliminate equipment and process failures.
• Accountable for hiring, retention, and development of technical expertise within the site's Shift Maintenance Team to maintain system availability at target levels through Americold skills matrix and development planning process.
• When an outsourced (3rd party) dedicated maintenance solution is part of the site's total maintenance solution - provide leadership and support to ensure the Americold shift maintenance resources are interacting effectively with the 3rd party technicians to ensure Planned Work is executed and mechatronics availability is at target.
• Be capable of overseeing vendor and contractor activities as required and driving lasting positive change by leading or contributing to both ad hoc and formal project teams.
• Through engaging and effective communications support the sharing and continuity of leadership information and leadership messaging across the site and across functions at the site.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
What Experience You Need
Qualifications & Experience:
• Bachelor's degree is preferred
• Minimum 2 years of relevant maintenance leadership experience with a team of technicians required.
• Relevant experience leading leaders in automated warehousing, high speed, high volume manufacturing operations and or capital intense continuous manufacturing operations is strongly preferred.
• Experience leading Failure Mode & Effects Analyses (FMEA), Failure Mode, Effects, & Criticality Analyses (FMECA), or other established Root Cause Analyses and implementing/managing Predictive Maintenance technologies (Vibration, Infrared, Ultrasound) is desirable.
• Demonstrated experience with PLCs and automation is highly preferred.
• Substantial prior experience with a Computerized Maintenance Management System (CMMS) such as MAXIMO, E-Maint, PeopleSoft is preferred.
• Experience with SAP is a plus
• Experience implementing best-in-class maintenance programs and strategies such as Total Productive Maintenance (TPM), Reliability Centered Maintenance (RCM) and/or Predictive Maintenance.
• Six Sigma experience, or experiential success leading continuous improvement projects or significant contributions to completion of a major improvement project, is desirable.
• Some experience in a temperature-controlled environment (cooler / freezer) is a plus.
Knowledge & Employment Standards:
• Ability to work in fast-paced, deadline-oriented environment.
• Strong leadership skills and the ability to obtain results through influence and mentoring relationships in order to contribute experience, skills, and wisdom to employees for their development.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills.
• Very strong customer service orientation with high sense of urgency in meeting objectives and deadlines.
• Ability to supervise and inspect work performed by all levels of maintenance personnel.
• Computer literate, with basic / adequate skills in Microsoft Office (PowerPoint, Outlook, Word, and Excel)
• Must manage work life balance and work a flexible schedule (nights-weekends-holidays) in support of 24 / 7/ 365 operations.
Physical Requirements & Abilities:
• Requires the ability to sit for long periods of time, with frequent interruptions
• Requires several hours per day of sitting, getting up and down from chairs, and reaching, or bending
• Requires manual dexterity with normal hand and finger movements for typical office work
• Talking, hearing, and seeing are important elements of completing assigned tasks
• Require travel by automobile and airplane for business
• Requires intermittent visits to facility operations in temperatures at or below freezing
• May carry loads related to travel and occasionally lifts, carries, positions, or moves objects weighing up to 20 pounds
• Requires the use of various electronic tools
• Requires the ability to relate to others beyond giving and receiving instructions: must partner with colleagues without exhibiting behavioral extremes
• Requires the performance of work activities including reasoning, negotiating, instructing, persuading, or speaking with others; and respond appropriately to constructive feedback from executive management
Americold is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer
EOE/AA M/F/D/V DFW
What We Offer
Our associates know the answer to the question What's in it for me? We offer best-in-class benefit programs and continuously work with our associates to ensure that our offerings meet the needs of their health and financial well-being. When you join Americold you join a values-oriented company with a clear mission. We help our customers feed the world.
Americold is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
EOE/AA M/F/D/V DFW.