Working with a diverse team, you will play an integral role in designing, developing, and supporting our business critical applications, while mentoring associate engineers on software development best practices in an effort to deliver our next generation of innovative applications to our customers
Most people know us for our big yellow trucks. But we're so much more than that. At Penske we have a 50-plus year history of leading the transportation and supply-chain industry, delivering world-class and award-winning technology solutions and the key to our success is our people.
We are experiencing rapid business growth and have added headcounts to IT teams across the organization to keep up with this expansion. We are hiring immediately for full-time, long-term roles. At Penske you will ensure our technology solutions keep our company and our customers moving forward.
What You Will Be Doing:
As an Associate Software Engineer III, you will be part of a team that develops our next generation of applications while enhancing and supporting our existing applications. You will be involved in reviewing, interpreting & developing systems in accordance with user requirements & troubleshooting issues as they occur. Working with the business and other software engineers/leads, you will develop an understanding of the requirements and translate them into technical design to develop and implement the solution. You will also collaborate with engineers and architects to ensure optimization, offering your input into the requirements and potential alternative courses of action.
- Act as the primary contact and lead support associate for multiple application modules/ processes, resolving customer issues in a timely manner.
- Participate in all aspects of the Software Development lifecycle through supporting existing software development efforts and developing new software modules.
- Develop, maintain, test, analyze performance, troubleshoot / fix applications and applicable code.
- Delegate tasks and participate in reviewing code from junior onshore & offshore developers.
- Produce deliverables with clean, well-documented and easily maintainable code that adheres to defined coding standards and best practices
- Participate in designing backend database schemas, using concepts such as Database Normalization and write complex SQL statements.
- Interact with business analysts/product owners to understand requirements, translate it to technical design & develop the related components/modules.
- Write unit / UI tests to help identify defects.
- Implement software for applications and related technology, with minimum oversight
- Analyze project specifications, software requirements specifications, and software prototypes and build test plans and test cases based on the analysis
- Other projects as assigned
What You Will Be Doing:
As a Software Engineer I, you will participate in all aspects of the Software Development lifecycle by supporting existing software development efforts and troubleshooting issues as they occur while also developing new software modules across multiple small to medium projects concurrently. You will have an opportunity to lead the design of certain software components and suggest new products, applications and features based on industry and technological trends and advances. You will also consult with process owners in reviewing, interpreting & developing systems in accordance with user requirements. Finally, you will get an opportunity to work with a diverse team and mentor junior software engineers.
- Be the primary contact and lead support associate for multiple applications.
- Play a critical role in supporting the application lifecycle (design, develop, test, release and support) based on detailed requirements and guidance from senior engineers/leads.
- Collaborate with technical/business leaders and product owners to acquire and understand requirements / acceptance criteria.
- Develop, maintain, test, analyze performance, troubleshoot / fix applications and applicable code
- Support mission critical applications and assist in the resolution of customer issues.
- Design backend database schemas.
- Produce deliverables with clean, well-documented and easily maintainable code that adheres to defined coding standards.
- Write unit / UI tests to identify defects and leverage CI/CD for building and deploying code.
- Triage production issues and work with multiple teams to perform problem analysis
- Assign and review tasks from junior and offshore software engineers.
- Participate in conducting new hire interviews.
- Influence the discovery and decision-making process when changes to standards and technology are required (tools, conventions and design patterns)
- Provides support to the business by responding to user questions, concerns, and issues (for example, technical feasibility, implementation strategies)
- Other projects as assigned
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science/Computer Engineering or equivalent years of software development experience
- 2-4 years of experience in appropriate programming languages such as Java
- Understanding of the full software development lifecycle
- Understanding of project management concepts
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Experience of appropriate design frameworks and patterns
- Experience in relational database design and writing complex SQL
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment
- Experience with Agile Methodology Preferred
- A team player mindset with an ability to thrive and effectively communicate in a fast-paced, constantly evolving environment
- Regular, predictable, full attendance is an essential function of the job
- Willingness to travel as necessary, work the required schedule, work at the specific location required, complete Penske employment application, submit to a background investigation (to include past employment, education, and criminal history) and drug screening are required
-The physical and mental demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an associate to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
-The associate will be required to: read; communicate verbally and/or in written form; remember and analyze certain information; and remember and understand certain instructions or guidelines.
-While performing the duties of this job, the associate may be required to stand, walk, and sit. The associate is frequently required to use hands to touch, handle, and feel, and to reach with hands and arms. The associate must be able to occasionally lift and/or move up to 25lbs/12kg.
-Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
Penske is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
About Penske Truck Leasing
Penske Truck Leasing Co., L.P., headquartered in Reading, Pennsylvania, is a partnership of Penske Corporation, Penske Automotive Group and Mitsui & Co., Ltd. A leading global transportation services provider, Penske operates a premier fleet of vehicles and serves its customers from locations in North America, South America, Europe, Australia, and Asia. Penske's product lines include full-service truck leasing, contract maintenance, commercial and consumer truck rentals, used truck sales, transportation and warehousing management and supply chain management solutions. Visit www.GoPenske.com to learn more.
Job Board Summary
As an Associate Software Engineer III, you will be leading the effort to develop, enhance, and support applications in a fast-paced development environment; while working with senior members of the staff on medium to large sized projects in a diverse range of topics to produce deliverables. You will be maintaining and modernizing our existing systems as well as working on new applications. Working in our collaborative environment you will have the opportunity to further develop your skills while also acting as a mentor and guide a team of software engineers on development best practices and ensure code quality through code reviews.
Job Category: Information Technology
Job Function: Software Engineering
Job Family: Information Technology
Address: 100 Gundy Drive
Primary Location: US-PA-Reading
Employer: Penske Truck Leasing Co., L.P.
Req ID: 2325646