Your Career Begins at Timken
If you're ready for a challenging career that provides you with the ability to advance personally and professionally, look to Timken. Our associates make the world more productive by improving the efficiency and reliability of the machinery that keeps industry in motion.
Job Title: Chrome Plater
Description: Sets up and controls plating equipment to coat metal objects electrolytically with chromium, copper, cadmium, or other metal to provide protective surfaces or to build up worn surfaces according to specifications. May operate electroplating equipment with reverse polarity also referred to as plating stripper (electroplating). Other tasks as assigned by the supervisor or company management.
Overall Purpose: Apply chrome to surfaces that have been worn down so that the product to meet customer, company and American Association of Railroads (AAR) specifications.
1. Reads work order to determine size and composition of object to be plated; type concentration and temperature of plating solution; type and thickness and location of specified plating metal; and amount of electrical current and time required to complete plating process.
3. Immerses object in cleaning and rinsing baths.
4. Suspends object, such as part or mold, from cathode rod and immerses object in plating solution.
5. Moves controls on rectifier to adjust flow of current through plating solution from anode to cathode and to permit electro deposition of metal on object.
6. Removes plated object from solution at periodic intervals and observes to ensure conformance to specifications.
7. Adjust voltage and amperage based on observation.
8. Examines object visually at end of process to determine thickness of metal deposit or measures thickness, using instruments such as micrometers or calipers.
9. May mix and test strength of plating solution using instruments and chemical tests.
10. May measure, mark and mask areas excluded from plating.
Physical Demands & Frequency: Medium lifting required; standing on a metal walkway, walking, climbing stairs and handling are required.
A. Position: Standing.
B. Weights & Force: Up to 50 plus pounds.
C. Use of Controls: Operates overhead hoist and reads digital and time gauges as well as electroplating equipment.
D. Vision must be normal (20/20). Correctional lenses are acceptable.
Qualifications/Training: Candidate shall successfully complete training program and as applicable, qualification requirements, as defined by the responsible functional manager. New hires shall demonstrate satisfactory performance during new hire probationary period.
Training: No experience necessary, on the job training provided.
Environmental Conditions: Constant low frequency impact noise, as well as exposure to extreme heat and chromic acid.
Protective Clothing and Personal Devices: Safety glasses, safety shoes, an apron, gloves, fit tested respirator, hard hat and face shield.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.