Your Career Begins at Timken
If you're ready for a challenging career that provides you with the ability to advance personally and professionally, we have the perfect opportunity for you to perform WORK THAT MATTERS. Working at Timken provides innovative ways to make an impact daily, we are committed to delivering next-level performance as we move the world forward beginning with our employees, customers, and communities we serve around the world.
Timken Belts is a leading manufacturer of industrial belts known for quality, innovation and performance. With a strong commitment to excellence and a focus on continuous improvement, we are seeking a dynamic Plant Manager to lead our manufacturing operations in Springfield, Missouri. The Plant Manager position requires a strategic leader who can effectively manage resources, drive operational excellence, and foster a culture of continuous improvement. The successful candidate will be skilled in managing a unionized workforce, optimizing production processes, ensuring safety and quality standards are met, and delivering on key performance metrics for a site of approximately 400 associates. This role reports to the Business President - Belts & Chain and is a key contributor to the business planning process and establishing the long-term strategic direction of the business.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to fulfill the essential duties and responsibilities at a high level. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
EDUCATION and EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering, Operations Management, Business Management, or a related field; an advanced degree is a plus
- A minimum of 10 years leadership experience in a manufacturing setting
- Proven experience as a leader in a manufacturing environment, ideally with in a unionized environment
- Strong knowledge of lean manufacturing principles and process improvement methodologies
- Excellent leadership, interpersonal, and communication skills
- Solid financial acumen and the ability to manage budgets
- Strong problem-solving and decision-making abilities
- Familiarity with safety and environmental programs and regulations
- Knowledge of belts manufacturing or rubber industry experience is a plus
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following, not all encompassing:
Leadership and Team Management:
- Establish and execute strategic plans for the development and operation of all functions for the Timken Springfield facility - Operational performance, Logistics, Engineering, Facilities, Safety, Quality
- Drive business planning process to ensure the effective engagement of resources to minimize direct and indirect costs to the business while maintaining compliance to applicable Federal, State and local rules and regulations
- Lead, mentor, and develop a team of capable department managers and supervisors
- Foster a culture of collaboration, innovation, and continuous improvement
- Manage labor relations effectively in a unionized environment
- Develop and implement production plans to meet quality, cost, and delivery targets
- Oversee production scheduling, inventory management, and resource allocation
- Implement lean manufacturing principles (Timken Manufacturing Operating System) and process improvements to optimize efficiency
- Utilize formalized methodologies to solve problems, implement recurrence prevention countermeasures, and monitor solutions for effectiveness
Safety and Compliance:
- Implement and maintain a culture that values safety and environmental stewardship
- Ensure a safe working environment for all employees by enforcing safety protocols, conducting training, and addressing safety & environmental concerns promptly
- Maintain compliance with all applicable regulations, permits, and environmental requirements
- Implement and maintain quality control procedures to guarantee the production of high-quality product
- Monitor and analyze production data and customer complaints to identify areas for improvement in product quality
- Drive initiatives to improve product quality and reduce defects
- Manage the budget for the manufacturing site and lead the team to achieve year-over-year cost reduction
- Lead the capital planning and project implementation process
- Optimize resource utilization and production processes to minimize waste
Supply Chain and Logistics:
- Oversee the end-to-end supply chain, including procurement, inventory management, warehousing, and logistics, to ensure timely and cost-effective delivery of materials and finished products
- Collaborate with suppliers to optimize costs and quality while maintaining strong supplier relationships
Equipment and Maintenance:
- Ensure minimal equipment downtime and maximum labor efficiency through the implementation of effective maintenance strategies
- Establish and track key performance indicators (KPIs) to monitor and improve plant performance
- Develop and implement strategies to achieve improvement targets
- Generate regular reports on plant performance and communicate to senior management
Language Skills: Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and complete necessary production forms. Ability to speak effectively with fellow employees and/or customers.
Mathematical Skills: Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference, and fundamentals of plane and solid geometry and trigonometry. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
Reasoning Ability: Ability to apply and understand, and carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, schedule, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several variables; problem solving ability.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Ability to perform physical requirements of the job (frequent shop floor activity including walking, standing, lifting, etc.). While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand, sit, use hands/arms. The employee is regularly required to talk, hear at conversational level, and smell. The employee is occasionally required to walk, climb, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must regularly lift/move up to 10 pounds, frequently lift/move up to 25 pounds, and occasionally lift/move up to 50 pounds. Moving/lifting greater than 50 pounds requires assistance from another employee or a lifting device/hoist. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
Work Environment: he work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to moving mechanical parts. The employee is frequently exposed to fumes or airborne particles, outside weather conditions, and vibration. The employee is occasionally exposed to extreme heat and risk of electrical shock. The noise level in the work environment is usually loud.
Required Personal Protective Equipment: Employee is required to wear proper safety eyewear, hearing protection, and steel-toed shoes at all times while on the plant floor.
All qualified applicants shall be treated equally according to their individual qualifications, abilities, experiences and other employment standards. There will be no discrimination due to gender or gender identity, race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, sexual orientation, veteran/military status or any other basis protected by applicable law.