What Timken makes possible begins with you.
Those who came before us helped land a man on the moon, create the world's infrastructure, and introduce renewable energy alternatives. Now you can join the Timken team to write your own unique story and help drive what's next.
A career at Timken means you can have an immediate impact doing Work That Matters to the worldó improving the efficiency of today's industrial equipment and preparing for the future of motion on our planet and beyond. New employees can start contributing right away, and there are many opportunities to advance your career at your own pace. Join our global team of 19,000 people in 46 countries, and start helping our customers push the limits of what's possible in their world of motion.
Timken Gears and Services, Philadelphia Gear brand, is seeking a Machinist for the Hueytown, AL service center to support gear operations by performing machinist activities. Machines include (but not limited to) CNC lathes, horizontal boring mill, drill press, OD grinder, Blanchard grinder, balancing machine, general inspection, magnetic particle inspection, gear hobbers & hob sharpening grinders. The Machinist must be able to check and verify conformance of machined product to established specifications. Will also assist mechanics with stacking up bearings and some assembly / disassembly assistance as needed.
Applicant must be able to walk, stand, climb, lift and/or move up to 50 pounds, see, hear and use hands to handle or feel and reach with hands and arms. Must have both verbal and written communication skills. Must have the ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Must be able to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations. Must have mathematical skills with the ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions and decimals, along with ability to compute rate, ratio and percent. Must be able to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to other employees of the organization. Must have a high school diploma or equivalent and graduation from an applicable tech program or 5+ years' experience.
Position reports to the service center Manufacturing Supervisor or Operations Manager, depending upon the facility structure.
Hours are 7:00 am to 3:30 pm.
Shop is climate controlled.
Availability to work overtime, weekends and holidays shifts as needed to meet customer demands is required.
Duties and responsibilities Include:
- Must be able to read blueprints, sketches, drawings, manuals, specifications, and measure sample parts to determine dimensions and tolerances of finished work piece, sequence of operations, and setup requirements.
- Must be able to select and secure accuracy holding fixtures, jaws, cutting tools, inserts, attachments, accessories, and materials on machines such as mills, lathes, and grinders.
- Starts and observes machine operation with caution to detect set up errors, malfunctions, or out-of-tolerance machining, and adjusts machine controls or control media as required.
- Machinist may have to consult with supervisors, engineers, programmers, or others in order to resolve machining or assembly problems.
- Employ lean manufacturing processes to reduce manufacturing cycle times, and review and improve department performance.
- Ensure achievement of customer quality requirements.
- Develop personal expertise in company-wide gear technology and work to improve the productivity and quality of products.
- Ensure the accuracy and integrity in labor and data reporting.
- Accountability for performance within guidelines of corporate standards, policies and procedures.
- Establish a good working relationship with peer groups and management team.
Timken provides a full range of benefits including medical, dental, vision, and life insurance. Also available are 401(k) matching, paid vacation and holidays. We will provide your uniforms, prescription safety glasses, and help purchase your safety shoes. Our associates are also eligible for yearly performance based bonus and merit increase review. Medical, dental and vision benefits are available day 1.
All qualified applicants shall be treated equally according to their individual qualifications, abilities, experiences and other employment standards. There will be no discrimination due to gender or gender identity, race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, sexual orientation, veteran/military status or any other basis protected by applicable law.