Your Career Begins at Timken
If you're ready for a challenging career that provides you with the ability to advance personally and professionally, look to Timken. Our associates make the world more productive by improving the efficiency and reliability of the machinery that keeps industry in motion.
The Manager - Ethics and Compliance is primarily responsible for the strategic direction, design, implementation, oversight and continuous improvement of the global ethics and compliance program. This includes primary responsibility for the Company's global data privacy compliance. An effective ethics and compliance program is required to align with our core values of ethics and integrity and independence and to maintain compliance with increasingly complex, global legal regulations, including data privacy. Achievement of these objectives will avoid costs, help increase shareholder value and sustain competitive advantage thereby enabling the company to accomplish its business objectives and growth plans. This position will possess a thorough understanding of US and international legal regulations and ensure the compliance requirements are effectively communicated to the global organization. The position will also guide the global organization in the implementation of appropriate process controls to prevent, detect and mitigate legal risk. The ability to cultivate and maintain relationships with business unit managers and senior leadership is a key to the successful integration of the compliance processes into the structure of the business.
This manager role will:
- Be primarily responsible for the strategic direction, design, implementation, oversight and continuous improvement of the global ethics and compliance program and the data privacy compliance program.
- Counsel and provide strategic and tactical advice to general management and senior management on ethical issues confronted by the Company. Provide counsel on the impact of laws and regulations on business plans and strategic direction.
- Take the lead role in the development and implementation of tools to assess legal risks and monitor and audit the effectiveness of risk controls for business processes. Use risk assessment results to identify priorities for management and develop content for global associate population on legal compliance, ethics and data privacy topics. Create and deliver training initiatives to the global organization. Develop and provide tools to facilitate compliance audits and ensure that the action plans developed as a result of the audits are implemented in a timely and sustainable manner.
- Facilitate, guide and oversee global compliance committees, membership of which is comprised of general managers, directors and vice presidents from each region, business and corporate center.
- Lead the identification, development, maintenance and communication of ethics and compliance policies and data privacy compliance policies.
- Oversee investigation of ethics issues, data breaches and related complaints. Provide advice on enforcement and discipline for infractions of the Company's Standards of Business Ethics or code of conduct.
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with management of the Company, including the Company's internal auditors and human resource management. Develop and maintain trust and confidence with these constituents regarding the management and implementation of the ethics and compliance program, including periodic reporting to the Audit Committee and full Board of Directors on the progress of the program and current ethics and compliance or data privacy issues.
- Develop content and oversee Timken's global ethics and compliance website to provide resources, tools and guidance regarding compliance with laws, regulations and our Standards of Business Ethics.
- Assist the M&A due diligence team in assessing legal compliance risks, including identification of risks, estimation of associated costs, consultation on addressing the risk, and collaboration with integration team to implement recommendations for remediation post-acquisition.
- JD with a minimum of 6 years of experience in a law firm or corporate setting and minimum of 4 years of experience in ethics and compliance.
- Working knowledge of applicable laws and regulations, including the US Federal Sentencing Guidelines.
- CCEP with SCCE is preferred
Required Skills and Competencies:
- Unquestionable integrity, a professional image, and a demonstrated history of exemplary ethical behavior
- Genuine passion for ethics and compliance
- Knowledge of or interest in developing expertise in, global privacy law compliance, including GDPR, data protection, data retention and data security
- Ability to build trust and confidence with the Board and senior management regarding the effectiveness of the compliance program
- Willingness and ability to deal constructively with difficult issues and take appropriate action
- Ability to map a clear path of behaviors, decisions, and actions to a future objective that supports the Timken vision
- Very strong process and problem solving leadership skills at both strategic and functional levels
- Ability to interpret strategy and communicate expectations related to the compliance program
- Ability to provide risk-based advice, drive operational efficiency, and manage and think globally
- Strong team skills, with the ability to lead and facilitate interactions in ways that optimize cross-team effectiveness/respecting individual differences
- Ability to promote the use of creative thinking to meet program requirements and clearly define steps required to implement organizational change
- Adaptability to meet and anticipate changing demands of the business and requirements of law
- Strong organizational skills and work ethic, with the ability to thrive in a fast-paced work environment and manage numerous projects simultaneously under deadline pressure.
- Strong project/program management skills
- Excellent judgment, including the ability to prioritize risks and projects appropriately
All qualified applicants shall be treated equally according to their individual qualifications, abilities, experiences and other employment standards. There will be no discrimination due to gender or gender identity, race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, sexual orientation, veteran/military status or any other basis protected by applicable law.