Logistics done differently.
Fortune Magazine named XPO Logistics among the most admired companies in the world, and Forbes listed us as one of America's best employers. As the Senior Operations Research Consultant Principal, you'll be recruiting, selecting, training and supervising employees, while maximizing employee engagement and maintaining clear communication on every level. We believe that a positive work environment creates happy employees, encouraging them to be more dedicated, empowered and productive. Become a part of our growing, dynamic team and we'll help you develop your career to a level that will exceed your expectations.
Pay, benefits and more.
We are eager to attract the best, so we offer competitive compensation and a generous benefits package, including full health insurance (medical, dental and vision), 401(k), life insurance, disability and the opportunity to participate in a company incentive plan.
What you'll do on a typical day:
- Collaborate with sales, pricing and operations teams to define and analyze management challenges and identify opportunities for improvement
- Develop integrated math-based optimization, e.g., linear programming, mixed integer programming, nonlinear programming and simulation models to help solve pricing, sales and operations problems
- Present candidate models to management for critique, review and approval
- Create software services that integrate these models into other software systems in support of management and decision support applications
- Optimize the performance of the models and software services
- Participate in the design of the operational systems that incorporate the output of optimization and simulation models
- Document all models and software services
- Select third-party software, e.g., CPLEX, Gurobi, Matlab, R, Sawtooth, etc., and hardware solutions for use by the software service
- Partner with other researchers and software developers to maximize team performance
- Represent the company in the scientific community through conference participation, research publications and collaboration on the development of patents and other intellectual property
- Help recruit and onboard new research team members
What you need to succeed at XPO:
At a minimum, you'll need:
- Ph.D. in Statistics, Operations Research (with a focus on statistical forecasting and data mining), Econometrics, Transportation and Logistics, or equivalent combination of education and experience building large scale data models
- Expert skills in the theoretical and technical application of statistics, forecasting and data mining to help develop models to solve complex real-world problems using some of the following quantitative methods: CART, MARS, VAR, multivariate regression, factor analysis, econometric time series analysis, simultaneous equation models, decision trees, hypothesis testing, neural nets, outlier identification, ARIMA, Monte Carlo simulations, etc.
- Expert knowledge of one or more object-oriented programming languages and statistical/data mining packages, e.g., SAS, R, SPSS, S-Plus, Sawtooth
- Proficiency in SQL
- Experience with large data sets
- Demonstrated ability to work with, understand and exploit the interplay between mathematical statistics and data mining, large scale relational data and related data visualization techniques
It'd be great if you also have:
- Several years of experience building large scale industrial models; exposure to operations research/ linear and nonlinear optimization and some experience with demand modeling within the transportation and logistics industry
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; strong interpersonal and collaboration skills
- Ability to consistently maintain a professional demeanor and interact in a respectful and collaborative manner with co-workers, managers and others across the enterprise
- Proven ability to follow direction, remain engaged/productive and stay flexible/adaptable to changing conditions and expectations
Be part of something big.
XPO is a leading provider of cutting-edge supply chain solutions to the most successful companies in the world. We help our customers manage their goods most efficiently using our technology and services. Our greatest strength is our global team - energetic, innovative people of all experience levels and talents who make XPO a great place to work.
We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, disability, veteran or other protected status.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified. All employees may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.