Pilot Freight Services seeks a Director of Purchased Transportation to work at our Corporate Headquarters located in Concordville, PA. This position may be remote for the right candidate!
This role is responsible for the procurement of North America transportation services for all assigned business (vendor to hub - VTH, hub to distributor - HTD and vendor to distributor - VTD). The Director will lead the effort to obtain the best combination of service, capacity, and total cost. Working with the COO, the Director will assist in developing a strategy to obtain the best combination of service, capacity, and total cost while ensuring the procurement processes meets agreed timescales and achieves agreed upon business objectives.
- Responsible for all procurement activities related to securing competitive transportation services for all assigned business that result in the lowest landed total cost with the highest possible service level
- Lead the preparation of annual Transportation budget and analyze monthly variances
- Develop and maintain strategic carrier relationships and transportation performance KPI reports for all relevant transportation modes including conducting carrier meetings/reviews
- Manage diverse stakeholder groups including owner/operators and suppliers; act as a point of contact for supplier escalation and queries related to activity
- Analyzes RFI and RFQ responses. Benchmark rate information versus historic pricing and versus competition
- Develops and maintain a commodity price trackers and outlook (e.g., fuel, shipping) to support category strategy
- Perform supplier spend analysis, including reporting to establish visibility of spend patterns by category, region, and supplier.
- Prepare and lead supplier negotiations
- Support Operations on the execution of Contracts, Amendments and Work Orders, liaising with Legal, Tax, Finance, and Risk as required
- Obtain data and stakeholder input to support supplier performance and business reviews.
- Identify, review and report on supplier metrics and savings for category activities. Connect supplier performance reporting to other business groups
- Earn the trust of key stakeholders as the function develops
- Champion standards and process improvements
- Secure surge volume capacity as required
- 5-7 years Transportation Management, Carrier management and Procurement experience
- Minimum 4 years' experience managing direct reports and teams, LTL experience required
- Bachelor Degree in related field – Business, Transportation, Logistics
- Demonstrated financial and/or analytical experience in forecasting, budgeting, and variance analysis, and/or data interpretation and analysis of large data sets (e.g. for RFQ analysis)
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel, Word, Outlook & Access, TMS applications
- Thorough understanding of transportation management terms and concepts including Air Freight, Ocean Freight, Truckload and Local Cartage
- Proven analytical, problem solving, decision making and negotiation skills
- Excellent communication skills both written and verbal
- Ability to meet tight deadlines, prioritize workload and achieve effective results in a fast-paced, dynamic, ever-growing and often ambiguous environment; effective multi-tasking skills
- Develop and Implement process to manage / bid/ reduce transportation spending
- LTL Common Carriers - Expand base
- Tools used to manager LTL Tariffs
Competitive salary benefits package, including 401k.