Your Career Begins at Timken
If you're ready for a challenging career that provides you with the ability to advance personally and professionally, look to Timken. Our associates make the world more productive by improving the efficiency and reliability of the machinery that keeps industry in motion.
Timken Gears & Services' Philadelphia Gear brand has a current opening for a Metallurgist. The Metallurgist provides technical expertise for Timken Gears & Services and as needed to other Timken Power System facilities in the areas of material selection, heat treatment, metal working and thermal process control.
- Develop/Review and update all Philadelphia Gear heat treatment and other metallurgical standards and procedures (drawings, part descriptions and travelers) to assure they are compliant with ISO customer and industry specifications.
- Provide support and guidance in the selection of alternate materials for rotating and structural members and components.
- Assist in approval and provide surveillance for all vendors for materials and heat treating processes.
- Assist the RSC in the review and disposition any heat treatment and metallurgical deviations.
- Conduct failure and root cause analysis as needed.
- Assist in gear drive specification review in areas related to metallurgy, heat treat and welding.
- Provide support to Quality, Manufacturing and Supply Chain teams in conducting audits, inspections and reviews.
- Serve as Timken Power Systems network wide resource in specific areas of Metallurgical expertise.
- Bachelor's degree in Metallurgy, Material Sciences or Mechanical
- A minimum of 3 years experience in alloy steel heat treatment and material evaluation, 5 years experience preferred
- Ability to evaluate and recommend material and heat treatment requirements for rotating and structural components
- The ability to review material / heat treatment certificates and evaluate their compliance and acceptability to the specification
- Conduct failure analysis
- Familiarity with industry standards like AGMA, API, AWS, ASTM, ASNT, and MIL standards
- Proficient in Word, Excel, and Powerpoint
- Effective verbal and written communication skills
All qualified applicants shall be treated equally according to their individual qualifications, abilities, experiences and other employment standards. There will be no discrimination due to gender or gender identity, race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, sexual orientation, veteran/military status or any other basis protected by applicable law.