Overview The Head of CHB Product Strategy of the International Freight Forwarding Group (IFF) leads designing and executing of Customs House Brokerage (CHB) Product Strategy and business growth effort for all IFF branches that provide end-to-end freight forwarding services to Yusen Logsitics (Americas) (YLA) customers throughout the United States. The position will be responsible for the overall strategic direction and business development of CHB product within IFF service portfolio through provision of direction and guidance in accordance with corporate goals, policies, and guidelines. The role includes strategic planning, financial budgeting, implementing process improvement and value proposition enhancement, expanding CHB business organically and through M&A's, and mentoring/coaching branch-level licensed customs broker as a leader for the growth and profitability of the CHB in each respective branch. As a leadership member of YLA IFF, the Head of CHB Product Strategy is also responsible to work closely with the other Yusen Logistics leadership within of the company, to ensure the direction and strategy of the CHB Product Strategy is aligned with the entire IFF policy of GHQ and with the long-term vision, Transform 2025.
Responsibilities CHB Product Strategy specific:
- Strategic planning and the overall profitability of the CHB product in YLA IFF.
- Develop and execute Strategy in conjunction with YLA Leadership and the YLA Quality & Governance team, include M&A strategy, to support CHB business growth aspirations.
- Analyze new business opportunity with customers, determine the needs, and coordinate with both BD (Business Development) and Operations for proper resource and technology investment to ensure service quality to customers.
- Ensure the best possible productivity/profitability through close collaborations with Operations.
- Interface between Quality & Governance at YLA Corporate and Operations in ensuring compliance of all applicable regulatory rules while steering execution of CHB Product Strategy.
- Regular exchange with Quality & Governance at YLA Corporate on update on and adherence to regulatory rules.
- Support both BD and Operations of customers' implementation of EDI Interfaces and IT applications with government authorities/agencies.
- Provide input to Operations on CHB P&L analysis and support resolution of profitability/scalability.
- Analyze sales statistics to formulate BD approach and to assist sales staff.
- Support Operations and BD in developing standard operating procedures for major accounts.
- Coordinate and work closely with Planning & Control, Accounting, and HR teams on CHB personnel related matters involving headcount planning, expense/cost allocations, and capital expenditures in annual budget making process.
- Track, monitor, and ensure accuracy of SGA allocations/reporting involving CHB personnel and non-personnel related expenses based on actual organizational structure and workload within YLA network so that Accounting & Finance Department can make an accurate CHB P&L.
- Develop CHB sales/business performance goals, metrics, and reporting in collaboration with BD and Planning & Control teams to better track CHB activity and measure performance.
- Work with the YLA Governance Team and the HR Team to design and build a training program for YLA employees that desire to enhance their CHB skill sets including becoming a licensed customs broker.
- Establish goals and objectives for the Head of CHB Product Strategy along with IFF goals relative to CHB business.
- Provide leadership, mentoring and motivation to the CHB personnel within YLA IFF to deliver operational goals successfully and effectively for growth.
- Ensures strategies are executed within the YLA network; lead and direct all functions to ensure that all departments and staff execute at, or above the customer's standards. Drive process improvements and growth in the CHB product while aligning with YLA IFF's objectives.
- Contribute to the strategic planning efforts needed to realize future growth opportunities while communicating a clear and compelling vision of the future of CHB product. Drive the development and cultivation of positive business relationships with the company's key CHB customers and vendors; direct pricing and performance reviews to identify service and revenue improvement opportunities.
- Collaborate with Business Development Group for business development, sales and marketing and new account development in all large markets to ensure that maximum optimal profit is generated not only for the entire Yusen Logistics but also for the company (YLA).
- Review and evaluate financial report, analyze productivity/profitability, and provide an accurate financial forecast of CHB. Maximize profitability through effective and prompt communications with Operations and follow-up on all pending customer related matters with Business Development Group.
- Develop and maintain positive relationships internally with the leadership of all business units within YLA, as well as externally with leadership of customers and key suppliers, business partners.
- Lead and provide leadership to within IFF; oversee and lead the professional development and productivity of all direct reports to ensure proper goals, training, professional development and project requirements are met; provide for organizational continuity/synergy through contingency planning, employee engagement, training, and development; provide support and ensure safe and ethical behavior; and communicate and ensure adherence to internal/external policies and procedures.
- Ensure that systems, policies, and measures are in place to maximize commercial opportunities, capital investment, community/industry relations, regulatory compliance, and human asset value.
- Act as a primary point of contact and conduit between YLA and other overseas affiliate companies relative to CHB product, especially with Hong Kong Global Head Quarters:
- Ensure that the business strategy and direction of YLA IFF CHB are in alignment with the long-term vision of Yusen Logistics - Transform 2025.
- Ensure that YLA IFF CHB captures all opportunities to secure new business for Yusen Logistics.
- Complete knowledge of CHB Operations, relevant government agencies, and regulatory rules. Candidate must be a licensed customs house broker for at least 7 years.
- Bachelor's degree in Business, Logistics, or equivalent field, preferred.
- 10 years or more of experience in logistics industry with a minimum of five years in leadership position.
- Possess an excellent reputation within Yusen Logistics or in the logistics industry.
- Possess a strong working knowledge in all aspects of International Freight Forwarding.
- Possess a strong sense of urgency and attention to detail.
- Possess an excellent communication skill both written and verbal, strong presentation and interpersonal skills.
- Proven ability to prioritize and manage time effectively and efficiently.
- Strong critical thinking and problem-solving skills required.
- Demonstrates and recommends alternative solutions for process improvements.
- Inspires the trust of others; Works with integrity and ethically; Upholds organizational values.
- Proven ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of executives, managers, clients, customers, and the general-public.
- Professional knowledge and experience of Skill matrixes, visualization control, Value Stream Map, etc.
- Bilingual capability and experience in working overseas are preferred.
Position requires considerable domestic and international travel up to 25%. W ork after normal business hours and weekends may be required particularly when responding to emergencies.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature of work being performed. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required.
Yusen offers a generous Employee Benefits Package including:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision beginning the 1 st of the month following start date
- 401k with a company match
- Flexible Spending Accounts, Life and Accidental Death & Dismemberment Insurance, Short & Long Term Disability, Tuition Assistance Program, Commuter Benefits, vacation , and much more.
Any and all benefits offered are subject to the eligibility requirements, terms, and provisions set forth in the respective policies and plan documents, which you may request from Human Resources.
About Yusen Logistics (Americas )
As a part of the NYK Group, Yusen Logistics (Americas) Inc. operates a network that provides specialization in key logistics products to include International Freight Forwarding, Integrated Solutions (Customized Logistics) and Contract Logistics services, along with transportation solutions all while providing complete and seamless US wide coverage. For more information, please visit our website at www.yusen-logistics.com .
Yusen Logistics (Americas) Inc. is committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants without regard to race, religion, color, sex, national origin, citizenship status, uniform service member status, age, disability, sexual and gender orientation, genetic information or any other protected status in accordance with all applicable federal, state and local laws. This commitment extends to all aspects of the company's employment practices including, but not limited to, recruiting, hiring, promoting, transferring, compensation, benefits, training, leaves of absence, termination, and other terms and conditions of employment.