Your Career Begins at Timken
If you're ready for a challenging career that provides you with the ability to advance personally and professionally, look to Timken. Our associates make the world more productive by improving the efficiency and reliability of the machinery that keeps industry in motion.
Purpose and Scope of Position
This R&D position exists to improve our manufacturing technology worldwide by discovering, developing, applying, and implementing metrology and inspection technologies with the goal to improve product quality and reliability, reduce manufacturing cost or to launch new manufacturing systems to make new products. The activities of this position will include application of metrology science and principles for dimensional and form measurements, surface finish measurements, calibration and uncertainty evaluation of the measuring systems. The work will include hardware as well as software development.
- Create, debug and maintain gauging hardware/software and precision metrology methods to support global manufacturing plants and product lines - to prevent quality problems and ensure appropriate in-process inspection controls.
- Work independently to investigate, evaluate, select, and apply theories, concepts, principles and processes related to gauging technology; keeps abreast of precision metrology methods and developments affecting the company's products and processes.
- Support manufacturing facilities on gauging hardware and software usage unique to facility and product line; improve system capabilities, develop acceptance criteria and define new quality specifications/inspection standards using precision metrology methods.
- Work as part of a team, sometimes as leader, has experience in key technology areas, to implement new technologies to our global manufacturing organization with a goal to reduce cost, launch new products, grow sales, improve quality, etc.
- Manage personal time to accomplish results including project plan, cost, timing, and development activities.
- Develop network with individuals both inside and outside of company, specifically with technical societies, suppliers, and customers.
Required Functional/Technical Skills
- Advanced knowledge and experience in manufacturing including capability to generate and interpret engineering drawings, geometric dimensioning and tolerancing (GD&T) and inspection equipment.
- Advanced knowledge and experience of Coordinate Metrology.
- Advanced capability to apply statistics for evaluation of measurement system performance and demonstrated capability for using statistical software, such as JMP.
- Knowledge and experience of precision engineering and modern measurement methods including optical measurement and on-machine gauging methodologies using part probes, etc.
- Knowledge and understating of metrology and quality assurance standards.
- Strong interest to be hands-on, travel domestically and globally and learn and apply industrial technology.
- Demonstrated effective oral and written communication skills as evidence by publications, presentations, research analyses and report development.
- Master's degree in Engineering with 5+ years of relevant industrial experience, or
- Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering with focus on metrology.
All qualified applicants shall be treated equally according to their individual qualifications, abilities, experiences and other employment standards. There will be no discrimination due to gender or gender identity, race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, sexual orientation, veteran/military status or any other basis protected by applicable law.