Your Career Begins at Timken
If you're ready for a challenging career that provides you with the ability to advance personally and professionally, look to Timken. Our associates make the world more productive by improving the efficiency and reliability of the machinery that keeps industry in motion.
This position exists within the Corporate Manufacturing Engineering Team to provide overall bearing component gauging and inspection solutions for the company, and to support deployment of the technology into our global bearing manufacturing facilities. The focus of the responsibilities will be on custom and commercial gauging system design and selection.
The gauging design candidate will be involved in designing, developing, and supporting existing and new gauging processes for all aspects of roller bearing component and assembly inspection. They will work closely with global manufacturing plants and other internal departments, such as Corporate Product Design, Quality, and Technology (R&D) teams.
- GAUGING SYSTEM DESIGN - Using 3D CAD modeling tools, develop gauging concepts for bearing components to meet manufacturing and quality requirements. Develop assembly drawings and 2D design details for mechanical components and identify electrical, electronic, and software integration needs. Assemble, test, integrate, and analyze gauging system performance to meet functional requirements.
- GAUGING SUBJECT MATTER EXPERT (SME) - Become the Corporate SME for bearing inspection processes used for bench gauging and automated manufacturing line production gauging of critical dimensional characteristics. Provides training and troubleshooting assistance to global manufacturing engineering and plant teams.
- GAUGING STRATEGY - Participates in developing the corporate gauging strategy and cost reduction (CI) efforts. Stays abreast of new gauging, inspection, and metrology technology and is involved in providing recommendations for quality or cost reduction opportunities.
- MATHEMATICAL ANALYSIS - Applies mathematical and statistical skills for analysis in evaluating gauging system performance including Gauge R&R studies.
- CAPITAL PROJECTS - Ability to specify, procure, evaluate, develop, optimize, and deploy either custom or commercial gauging inspection solutions for our global manufacturing locations to assure product quality.
- PROJECT MANAGEMENT - Leads, plans, controls budget, and provides regular project updates. Ability to formally summarize accomplishments, status, and issues in presentation and report formats, and work in a team environment.
- NEW PRODUCTS - Develops solutions for inspection methodologies in support of new product launches.
- TRAVEL - willingness to travel both domestically and internationally to Timken manufacturing plants and/or supplier locations - required periodically (occasionally for extended durations) at approximately 25%, depending on active projects.
- 2D/3D modeling software applications.
- GD&T tolerancing.
- NX12 3D CAD system.
- Familiarization with electronic indicators, LVDT's and optical metrology.
- Bearing component measurement systems and methods - electrical and mechanical.
- Good hands-on and troubleshooting skills.
- Proven deployment experience of gauging systems.
- Microsoft Office Suite (EXCEL/POWERPOINT/WORD) applications.
- Technical/analytical software applications such as MATLAB, LABVIEW, JMP (statistical analysis) preferred, but not required.
- Familiarization with ISO Inspection Standards.
- Bachelor's degree in Electrical/Controls (preferred) or Mechanical Engineering with a minimum of 7 years relevant experience, or master's degree with a minimum of 5 years relevant experience.
- USA Citizen or Green Card Holder.
Precision engineering/metrology experience.
Manufacturing background - bearing technology
All qualified applicants shall be treated equally according to their individual qualifications, abilities, experiences and other employment standards. There will be no discrimination due to gender or gender identity, race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, sexual orientation, veteran/military status or any other basis protected by applicable law.