Your Career Begins at Timken
If you're ready for a challenging career that provides you with the ability to advance personally and professionally, look to Timken. Our associates make the world more productive by improving the efficiency and reliability of the machinery that keeps industry in motion.
Position Summary: This position has responsibility for providing daily expert technical oversight and project management for the optimization of all material selection, thermal treatment processes, and standard weld procedures for the facility and to ensure metallurgical integrity of all products and provide technical expertise and assistance in the resolution of problems associated with the manufacture of existing and new product.
- Develop plant standards, technical instructions, and procedures in order to ensure that all metallurgical activities are in alignment with corporate standards and customer requirements.
- Provide direct leadership of thermal treatment area including setting of general policy, determining of proper procedures/work instructions, and training of associates as needed.
- Provide daily manufacturing support via the analysis of metallurgical issues and establish appropriate resolution for optimizing plant processes. This includes situations which inhibit product flow as well as trouble shooting metallurgical processes as they impact production operations.
- Manage the disposition of questionable product, interpret product metallurgical characteristics, and make decisions on corrective actions and deviation needs as a result of product not meeting Timken Customer Standards.
- Work with local SQA for feeding back issues to supply base.
- Analyze process audit and customer feedback results in correlation with process capability and corporate standards and periodically and proactively establish preventative and/or corrective actions.
- Provide all metallurgical training needed for associates to understand and perform their job functions.
- Investigate new heat treat technology and equipment. This includes supporting the development of financial justification and development of technical specifications for projects.
- Utilize own knowledge base to identify, develop, and carry out project ideas for overall improvement of quality, performance, and/or cost structure.
- Act as plant liaison with corporate metallurgical resources and serve as an interface with customers at a technical level.
- Perform damage analysis & prepare reports with recommendations, solutions, corrective actions.
- Schedule all product fatigue/wear-life testing as well as schedule metallurgical and/or mechanical failure testing with outside labs.
- Develop standard welding procedures and approve all changes/deviations.
- Conduct ultrasonic testing of welds and product parts as well as magnetic particle inspection of welds and product parts.
- Knowledge of Timken Metallurgical Standards & Practices
- Problem-solving capability
- Experience in manufacturing environment and in improvement projects
- Ability to perform metallurgical and/or mechanical/chemical testing
- Effective communicator both written and oral
- Shows results focus and excellent team skills
Education: Bachelor's Degree of Metallurgy, Materials, Engineering.
Previous Job Experiences: Metallurgical engineering in a manufacturing environment and in improvement projects Metallurgy & CI.
Licenses or Certifications
- Certified Welding Instructor (CWI). Welding expertise a plus! Level 1 Nondestructive Testing Certification Ability to evaluate the properties of a material, component or system without causing damage.
All qualified applicants shall be treated equally according to their individual qualifications, abilities, experiences and other employment standards. There will be no discrimination due to gender or gender identity, race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, sexual orientation, veteran/military status or any other basis protected by applicable law.