Senior Industrial Engineer
Your Career Begins at Timken
If you're ready for a challenging career that provides you with the ability to advance personally and professionally, look to Timken. Our associates make the world more productive by improving the efficiency and reliability of the machinery that keeps industry in motion.
Purpose of Position
This position exists within the Corporate Manufacturing Engineering Team at Timken World Head Quarters to provide technical expertise, project management and leadership in the design, development, and optimization of process solutions for Timken's various bearing manufacturing plants. This position is ideal for someone who has the capability and the desire to grow technically and develop into a process specialist/leader in bearing manufacturing. The ideal job candidate has a strong foundation in Industrial / Manufacturing Engineering along with a good understanding of Lean manufacturing principles and the ability to design, analyze and optimize production cell and line layouts.
An individual in this role will be expected to:
- Critically analyze existing as well as newly proposed manufacturing lines to identify and implement solutions to improve the efficiency, capacity, quality, safety, and flexibility of bearing production.
- Develop Lean and Six Sigma implementation tactics in collaboration with manufacturing plants, provide assistance to identify lean manufacturing improvement opportunities, lead cross-functional project teams to address areas of opportunity using the DMAIC process, deliver solutions to improve manufacturing processes and strengthen the Lean and Six Sigma culture within the plant organization.
- Use process modeling and simulation tools to evaluate options to improve productivity and reduce waste. This includes activities such as defining standard work, reorganizing workflow, relocating workstations / machines, and recommending the purchase of new equipment.
- Plan utilization of facilities, equipment, materials, and manpower to improve efficiency of operations. Determine optimal inventory levels that make the most effective use of capital.
- Provide key data analysis and modeling support to estimate current production capacity and constraints. Assist in planning for future demand / growth.
- Write A/R's (appropriation requisitions) and provide budgeting information for capital expansion and continuous improvement projects.
- Create CAD models of facilities and manufacturing line layouts. Support in the execution of growth projects.
- Domestic and international travel to Timken plants and/or supplier locations - approximately 25%.
- Manufacturing process flow simulation and optimization experience
- Understanding of lean manufacturing and continuous improvement techniques
- Broad knowledge of manufacturing processes and production equipment. Familiarity with industrial bearing manufacturing is useful.
- Strong analytical skills including experience with manipulating large data sets.
- EHS technical experience for facilities and new manufacturing processes (ergonomics, machine guarding, material handling, etc.)
- Experience in plant layout design and implementation is beneficial.
- 3D CAD modeling and mechanical design experience
- Strong written and oral communication skills
Minimum Required Qualifications
- Bachelor's degree in Industrial Engineering or a related field with a minimum of 5 years of relevant work experience. -
- US Citizenship or Green Card.
There are extraordinary expectations for results. Therefore, the individual must have personal initiative, be motivated and be pro-active. They may work on projects jointly with other fulltime manufacturing engineers and frequently interact with shop floor personnel as well as upper management. There may be occasional requirements for working on weekend days to limit project interference with daily production requirements or to achieve plan timelines. Success is measured by completion of assignments and handoff of organized working materials, results, reports, and presentations in electronic formats.
All qualified applicants shall be treated equally according to their individual qualifications, abilities, experiences and other employment standards. There will be no discrimination due to gender or gender identity, race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, sexual orientation, veteran/military status or any other basis protected by applicable law.