Your Career Begins at Timken
If you're ready for a challenging career that provides you with the ability to advance personally and professionally, look to Timken. Our associates make the world more productive by improving the efficiency and reliability of the machinery that keeps industry in motion.
Purpose of Position
The objective of this position is to serve as the leading expert in developing testing techniques and evaluating nondestructive testing processes. Contribute to innovations regarding the application of NDT to enhance the Timken Company's technical capabilities and competencies for creation of value and strategic advantage.
This position works closely with other engineers and specialists, quality, operations, and project leaders to ensure that tests are created and executed according to plan.
This position is responsible for NDT Laboratory leadership from an advanced testing perspective to include devising and conducting associated testing, maintaining a safe/clean laboratory environment and interfacing with vendors to maintain equipment.
The person occupying this position will be expected to expand their NDT skills by accumulating knowledge in areas such as eddy current and Barkhausen noise (ET), magnetic particle (MT), and ultrasonic testing (UT).
- Work with other engineers and project leaders to ensure that laboratory activities are closely aligned with the test schedule, priorities, and test equipment utilization
- Perform tests to evaluate material performance in accordance with standard procedures and test plans which are aligned with the needs of Operations, Quality, R&D and Product Teams
- Evaluate products and samples tested and document test results thoroughly and accurately
- Coordinate activity with 3rd party labs and service providers to evaluate potential test methods.
- Write and distribute test reports
- Conduct formal presentations portraying complex data analysis and investigation results in a group setting
- Ensure adequate and up-to-date documentation of test progress, test samples, tooling inventory, etc.
- Complete 5S audits (as assigned), maintain a clean and orderly laboratory; ensure proper machine maintenance and operation and safe storage of chemicals and fluids
- Assist with development of new tests
- Develop ideas for continuous improvement of laboratory productivity, reduction of test cycle-time and set-up time; share best practices with other test groups within the Company
- Demonstrate ability to flex into other material laboratories to assist in addressing short term resource gaps when necessary
- Knowledge of metallurgy and non-destructive techniques, primarily ET and UT (ASNT certification is desirable)
- Mechanical aptitude/ability and experience operating, maintaining, and troubleshooting mechanical equipment, as well as programmable machine controllers
- Experience with precision products and attention to detail; understanding of application/machine/product drawings, product Safety Data Sheets, and technical / test specifications and exposure to laboratories of varying scope of responsibility / function
- Strong interpersonal and team skills, results focus, good oral and written communication skills
- Computer skills using Microsoft products including Outlook, Word, and Excel
- Creation and updating of laboratory procedures, work instructions and laboratory metrics
- Demonstrated ability to plan, organize, and execute project responsibilities
- Coding experience with MATLAB is preferred
- Ability to write and publish technical reports
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering or Physics and 10 years of relevant NDE work experience, or
- Master's degree in Engineering or Physics and 5 years of relevant NDE work experience, or
- PhD in Engineering or Physics, with concentration in NDE
- NDE industry certifications
All qualified applicants shall be treated equally according to their individual qualifications, abilities, experiences and other employment standards. There will be no discrimination due to gender or gender identity, race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, sexual orientation, veteran/military status or any other basis protected by applicable law.