Together, We'll Keep the World Moving Forward
Standard Machine was founded in 1967 and acquired by Timken in 2013. Not everyone knows what Timken makes. But you'll recognize what Timken makes possible. We engineer solutions that keep the world moving by offering products and services to keep the world's equipment, machinery, and vehicles in motion. At Standard Machine we design and manufacture high-quality parts for critical industries including pulp and paper, mining, oil and gas, chemical processing plants, steel mills, marine applications, transportation, military, and aerospace.
Reporting to the Production Manager, the Metallurgical / Industrial Engineer is responsible for the Heat Treat Department including employees within, and controlling the production, quality, and process of heat treatment. The successful candidate will train and manage heat treat machinists in operations, manage all laboratory and furnace equipment, and be responsible for increasing productivity within heat treating processes.
- Schedule and maintain department workflow, including managing area equipment:
- Manage maintenance requirements for laboratory and furnace equipment
- Estimate production times on equipment based on the job
- Understanding of shop load, priority dispatch and scheduled shipment reports
- Batch planning and record keeping, including completing and verifying set-ups
- Optimize heat treat process with a focus on improving productivity:
- Control the production, quality, and process of heat treatment.
- Evaluate the cost effectiveness, and incorporate new technologies into heat treat process
- Establish and maintain processes for case hardening of gears and pinions.
- Champion carburizing and induction hardening processes using technical expertise.
- Use problem solving techniques to focus on continuous improvements in heat treatment.
- Prepare and update standard operating procedures
- Maintains a dedicated, focused and capable staff to meet current and future needs:
- Active in interviewing, hiring, and training department employees
- Employee and job scheduling, including labour and project reporting
- Maintain strong communication between shifts, including documentation for task distribution
- Communicates effectively with clear direction, standards, and policies to all staff.
- Cross trains staff to give the area flexibility and depth.
- Fosters a positive, proactive, results oriented, mutually supportive, fun working environment.
- Evaluates training opportunities to determine its relevance, educational opportunities as to their benefit to Standard Machine.
Our ideal candidate has 10 years of industry experience, 5+ years of post-educational experience, and possesses the following education and competencies.
- Bachelor of Engineering (BEng), or Bachelor of Science in Engineering (B.Sc. Eng)
- Metallurgical Engineering major preferred, Process/Chemical, Industrial, and Mechanical Engineering will be considered
- P. Eng. Designation in SK, BC, MB, ON, QC will be considered an asset
- In-depth understanding and application of metallurgy processes and controls including material types
- Knowledge of manufacturing processes, preference for experience with gears, gear boxes, and pinions
- Accuracy and expertise in failure analysis, software, and engineering processes
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills including conflict resolution
- Proven ability to lead projects and teams, demonstrating strong organization and communication skills
- Progress department tasks efficiently, including the use of LEAN principles
- Adaptive problem-solving techniques including developing new solutions through analytical, interpretative, evaluative, creative, and innovative thinking (5 Why's, 8D, and Fishbone)
Work that Matters
Working at Timken means working with dozens of industries on projects that have the potential to change the world. Everywhere you look, we're there, improving reliability, raising the bar for efficiency, and driving sustainability. That's been our focus for more than a century. And every day we seek out new opportunities to help our partners reach higher levels of achievement. All our work is held to the highest quality standards, and our facility maintains all of the following certifications and affiliations: API, ISO 9001-2015, AGMA, and CWB.
Put your Career in GEAR today!
Working at Standard Machine, a Timken Brand, opens the door for opportunity, benefits, and security.
We offer a competitive base salary to secure the brightest talent for our organization. We also have a short-term incentive (bonus) plan that pays based on individual and company performance.
Our comprehensive benefits package includes health, dental, life insurance, short-term and long-term disability, AD&D, employee assistance program, on-site gym, RRSP/DPSP with company matching, vehicle discount programs, and MORE.
You'll have the chance to gain knowledge and experience in a wide range of industries and applications. Learn more through hands-on experience, core training and a selection of more than 4,400 online courses. In addition, tuition assistance opportunities may be available if you want to enhance your education in a field related to your career.
All qualified applicants shall be treated equally according to their individual qualifications, abilities, experiences, and other employment standards. There will be no discrimination due to gender or gender identity, race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, sexual orientation, veteran/military status, or any other basis protected by applicable law.
Applicants must provide proof of all relevant qualifications and be available to participate in a pre-employment testing procedure.
Only candidates who are permanent residents or citizens of Canada, residing in Canada, will be considered for this position.