Your Career Begins at Timken
If you're ready for a challenging career that provides you with the ability to advance personally and professionally, look to Timken. Our associates make the world more productive by improving the efficiency and reliability of the machinery that keeps industry in motion.
Position Summary: The forklift operator is self-directed in performing a variety of somewhat repetitive duties, primarily associated with the receiving, shipping, storing, and moving of materials. Work from load list, shop orders, bills of lading, and verbal instructions.
Essential Job Duties:
- Load and unload material from common carrier using forklift or dollies. Inventory all items received by count or number and store in specified areas. Band and tag material.
- Responsible for accuracy of load list with material to assure proper shipping.
- Deliver materials or parts to various plant locations or machining operations as directed. Pack, stack, and band for shipment; lift, move, and store material from finished operation.
- Perform preventive maintenance on forklift, such as checking tires, oil, battery, water, and gas.
- Detect faulty operation of equipment or defective material and refer unusual conditions to supervisor.
- Maintain tools and equipment in proper manner.
- Must be knowledgeable in and practice all safety procedures.
- Responsible for quality: Accept training in blueprint reading, use of gauges and measuring tools common to manufacturing, along with related statistical process control principles and other quality control procedures.
- Use portable scanners to make inventory transactions as required by the operation being performed.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education and/or Experience: High school diploma or general education degree (GED) required.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations: Forklift license required.
Language Skills: Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and complete necessary production forms. Ability to speak effectively with fellow employees and/or customers.
Mathematical Skills: Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference, and fundamentals of plane and solid geometry and trigonometry. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
Reasoning Ability: Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, schedule, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several variables; problem solving ability.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand, sit, use hands/arms. The employee is regularly required to talk, hear at conversational level, and smell. The employee is occasionally required to walk, climb, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must regularly lift/move up to 10 pounds, frequently lift/move up to 25 pounds, and occasionally lift/move up to 55 pounds. Moving/lifting greater than 55 pounds requires assistance from another employee or a lifting device/hoist. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to moving mechanical parts. The employee is frequently exposed to fumes or airborne particles, outside weather conditions, and vibration. The employee is occasionally exposed to extreme heat and risk of electrical shock. The noise level in the work environment is usually loud.
Required Personal Protective Equipment: Employee is required to wear proper safety eyewear, hearing protection, and steel-toed shoes at all times while on the plant floor.
All qualified applicants shall be treated equally according to their individual qualifications, abilities, experiences and other employment standards. There will be no discrimination due to gender or gender identity, race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, sexual orientation, veteran/military status or any other basis protected by applicable law.