Your Career Begins at Timken
If you're ready for a challenging career that provides you with the ability to advance personally and professionally, look to Timken. Our associates make the world more productive by improving the efficiency and reliability of the machinery that keeps industry in motion.
Purpose and Scope
The Sales Engineer works under the direction of a regional manager and has progressively greater responsibility for customer projects and assignments that involve problem solving and the resolution of both commercial and technical issues. Specific expectations of the Sales Engineers' development in this role includes:
- Develop skills in coordinating internal associates and customers for projects of moderate scope, including planning, scheduling and coordinating. Expected to develop and demonstrate leadership skills in influencing, driving for results and resource commitment.
- Learn how to develop, maintain and grow effective customer relationships by maximizing face-to-face time, executing call plans, entertainment, coordination of Timken resources, etc.
- Develop negotiations skills by participating in customer negotiations; grow ability to develop pricing strategies and manage a portfolio of business. Expected to develop an understanding of customer's business, market space and trends.
- Build and develop technical relationships with customers by providing consistent and expert technical support to customers across the Timken portfolio of products and services.
- Build an understanding of Timken value and learn how to leverage this to maximize price and grow and protect business.
- Manage sales process for assigned customer accounts or territory: establish relationships and professional credibility with assigned customer base. Makes target number of customer calls and attains sales targets.
- Collaborates with others to develop and deliver high-impact customer presentations that focus on Timken capabilities and solutions, value proposition.
- Through an understanding of customer drivers, builds ability to influence customer decisions pertaining to new solutions, products and prototype applications.
- Builds sales competencies in discovering hidden customer needs, representing customer needs, handling objections, etc.
- Facilitate customer interaction and coordinate with Marketing, Customer Service, Customer Engineering, Manufacturing, Supply Chain and other functional areas.
- Works with Customer Engineering on complex system analyses, including bearing selection on non-standard part number or types. Obtains application details from customers (including new or atypical designs). Participates in evaluating new design concepts from customers.
- Sales Plan Execution: Collaborates with regional manager to develop customer-based sales plan including sales, won/lost business, pricing plans, new business attainment.
- Learns to gather and submit customer and market knowledge into monthly demand planning process.
- New Business Development and support of current business: Over time in the job, transitions from communicating information to recommending a solution. Launches NPR's and test requests; conducts industry or technology research to identify trends. Evaluates competitors, products, and selling/market strategy. Gain an understanding of the New Business Development process including input into development of new designs or other opportunities.
- Project Assignments: Responsible for projects as assigned and directed by regional manager. May deliver customer-training or internal training presentations.
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering or similar strongly preferred with at least 1 year of sales or relevant experience
- In lieu of Bachelor's degree, a high school diploma/GED with at least 5 years of technical sales experience
- Position level will be dependent upon years of qualified, relevant experience and education
All qualified applicants shall be treated equally according to their individual qualifications, abilities, experiences and other employment standards. There will be no discrimination due to gender or gender identity, race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, sexual orientation, veteran/military status or any other basis protected by applicable law.